Car Wanders on the Highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 1996 Saturn SL2, 124,000 miles.

At speeds above 60 mph, this car suffers from "steering pull." In other words, if I maintained a straight line, the car will wander to the right and I would have to correct the steering so that the car would stay straight. This problem has been occurring for at least 10,000 miles. Here are the steps that I have taken in attempt to resolve it, but with no success.

1. Rotated and balanced the tires. No improvement. The tires are Michelin Hydroedge and the front and rear have 8/32 remaining. No uneven wear.

2. Tried different tire pressures--30F/26R, 35F/30R, 40F/36R. Regardless of the tire pressure combination, it still wandered.

3. Replaced the rear sway bar end links with Moog replacements. The old ones were completely rotten. This eliminated the occasional clunking noise from the rear end, but it did not improve the wandering condition.

3. The last alignment was done about 25k ago, so it's possible that it's due for another one. However, about 10k ago (which was 15k since the last alignment) it was already doing this, so I'm not sure if it's related to the alignment.

4. In the fall, I had two different shops check the suspension. They said the tie rods and wheel bearings were OK. I have not personally checked them. I understand that I should rock the tire at the 9 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock positions to check the tie rods, and the 12 O'Clock and 6 O'Clock positions to check the wheel bearings. How much play is acceptable?

Some other info:

1. The struts are still original. I lowered the tire pressure to the OEM recommended 30F/26R and the ride improved tremendously, but the car would still benefit from new struts. I plan to replace the struts and the front strut mounts soon.

2. The steering seems to have a slight amount of play. It's very slight, but enough to give you the impression that the steering is not very accurate or precise. I only noticed this after driving a few new cars and then driving the Saturn again.

3. Sometimes when I back out of the garage, I can hear a squeak coming from the RF of the vehicle if I turn the steering wheel to the right while backing out. It's difficult to tell whether it's coming from the strut mount bearings or the outer tie rod end.

4. When I accelerate from a stop or come to a stop, I hear a creak from the front end. It sounds like it's coming from around the radiator area.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm really not sure what's causing the wandering.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I'm really not sure what's causing the wandering.

1. Wanderlust
2. Road crowning
3. Body mass in driver's seat

Originally Posted By: toytundranator
Bad steering rack bushings?

How would I check those?

I don't see a listing for "steering rack bushings" for my car on RockAuto, are they sometimes referred to by a different name?

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Mr Wan, what tires do you have on that vehicle?

Mr. Mori, as stated in the original post I have Michelin Hydroedge tires on this vehicle. The tread depth is 8/32 on the front and rear tires and there are no signs of uneven wear.

Usually that slight pull and wondering is caused by a bad tire, but since you rotated them that pretty much eliminates that. One test is to rotate the front wheels left to right and see if it then pulls to the left.

I am assuming toytun is refering to the rubber mounts for the steering rack? Highly unlikely. If a shop shook down the front end and said the tierods and ball joints are ok, that eliminates any bad front end parts that could cause this.

It could be a brake hanging up slightly.

It could be the caster, but this is usually not adjustable and caused by hitting a curb or an accident. Only an alignment will tell you if it is off.

Could be road crown - this is pretty common, especially if it is very slight and you obsess over it.

I cannot rotate the tires from left to right as these are directional tires, but I think we can safely eliminate the tires as the problem.

Someone suggested that I might have a sticky RF caliper. I think my front brake pad wear is pretty even, but I'll have to check this.

The caster was fine at the last alignment, as was the camber.

I don't think it's road crown because it will do it on a perfectly flat road.

Any steering pull most likely is caused by wrong alignment, so when it started 10k ago, you should did it at that time to prevent more problems with the suspension, tyre or steering.

Mr. Mori, as stated in the original post I have Michelin Hydroedge tires on this vehicle. The tread depth is 8/32 on the front and rear tires and there are no signs of uneven wear.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those. Do those tires have a symmetrical or asymmetrical tread? In my experience, tires with a symmetrical tread are more prone to pulling and tramlining compared to tires with an asymmetrical tread. Whether or not the tires have a unidirectional design seems not to matter.

PS: How do you hold the wheel?
wink.gif

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those. Do those tires have a symmetrical or asymmetrical tread? Tires with asymmetrical tread are more prone to pulling and tramlining than tires with a symmetrical tread in my experience. Whether or not the tires have a unidirectional design seems not to matter.

They are directional.

I cannot rotate the tires from left to right as these are directional tires, but I think we can safely eliminate the tires as the problem.

You CAN rotate them left to right for testing. The tires won't give the best performance in wet weather if on the wrong side, but you CAN do this rotation to test if there is a bad tire.

1) Check alignment. My mom's car have the same problem and the alignment shows a 1 deg off the toe. She hit a curb and bent something.

2) Check for stuck brake. But if it is for 10k already you would have burnt the pad if it is a stuck brake, so unlikely.

3) Check if the wheel bearing is stuck on one side. You wouldn't miss the noise.

4) Rotate the tire, even if they are directional, for a short test on a dry road.

Most likely alignment is off.

They are directional.

I wanted to know if they had a symmetrical or an asymmetrical tread pattern.

Quote:

Sure you can. You just need to dismount them ..turn them around on the wheel ..and remount them on the other side.

I'm surprised at you, Critic .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back