Car prices still strong at auction when measuring what carmax will pay for the exact vehicle

Thanks very much for mentioning me. Since I bought 5 vehicles at Carmax this week, I'll try to incorporate those auctions into this analysis as well.

First, there is no 'good time' or 'bad time' to buy. The best thing you can always do is spec out whatever you want well ahead of time and just be patient.

All my Carmax purchases were in Florida this past week. I did have other regions that I looked at as well (Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee), but after doing this for over 20 years I find that more dealers hedge whenever a natural disaster is in their backyard.

Even with that opportunity the market was still super tough. I used to buy in person with very limited competiton on my bread and butter vehicles. Now it's a different story. A guy a thousand miles away, or even overseas in some cases, is bidding against me. It's capitalism incarnate with everyone looking at the same vehicle at the same time.

I will usually stay on a vehicle until the bid price is barely within my comfort zone these days. Cheap is dead. Buying 'quality' and building your knowledge base is really your only chance for success.

If you really still want to study the waves of supply and demand, here's a shorter version.

What's increasing car prices for right now

UAW Strike
Virtual auctions
New car production still hasn't fully recovered
Money laundering operations in the USA and elsewhere
Decision models created by corporate goliaths which, oddly enough, always seem to be a tad optimistic.
Government subsidies for new and used EVs.

What's decreasing car prices for right now

A lot less 'funny money' doled out by the government now that COVID isn't a major economic issue.
Higher interest rates.
Higher repo rates and charge offs, especially for subprime finance companies
More defective CVTs and directinjection engines stuck in wholesale heaven.
More car models that have been discontinued over the last five years.
Falling demand for higher priced EVs that aren't Teslas or Rivian.
Longer model cycles in general for gas powered vehicles.

It's sad that I have to write this all out while nearly the entire automotive media would be forced to censor much of what's listed here. When I co-developed the Long-Term Quality Index I learned real quick that the only news you will ever get to read is good news... unless the bad news (real or otherwise) serves the need of those who sponsors those media sites.

Last edited:
@GON I am looking for a car for my niece; her Odyssey is killing her on gas. I was thinking about a Mazda 6 or 3.
The local dealership prices seem pretty high. Do you think Carvana or whatever is a good way to buy?
I really wanna key it under $20K plus tax... Thx.
What about Mazda 5? Keep most of the things she’s used to in the Ody, but get her some Zoom Zoom for less boom boom (fuel)?

No disrespect intended-but that amount is hardly a large capitol risk on CarMax's part. Are they still buying $40,000 or $50,000 pickups?
I don't know.
I had a 2014 Ford Transit Connect Platinum that I bought with 48k, and put 33k miles on it in 14 months, and Carvana paid me $1800 more than what I paid for it. I turned that windfall into part of the replacement purchase, a 2020 Transit Connect with 5k miles on it, for $8k more than the 2014. That was Aug ‘21. As of today, with another 38k miles, I’d come out nearly $4k ahead of where I am today. That’s crazy!

What about Mazda 5? Keep most of the things she’s used to in the Ody, but get her some Zoom Zoom for less boom boom (fuel)?
A Mazda may be a great buy and an awesome vehicle. I just know a Toyota or Honda will have ample parts available anywhere in the USA, and plenty of techs with knowledge of the Toyota/ Honda. Mazda may be as good or even better than a Toyota or Honda, but I speculate parts are not as plentiful, and techs with knowledge of the Mazda not as ample as a Toyota/ Honda.

JK mentions for his Neese- I come from a thought that we protect our woman... even in vehicle purchases.....

A Mazda may be a great buy and an awesome vehicle. I just know a Toyota or Honda will have ample parts available anywhere in the USA, and plenty of techs with knowledge of the Toyota/ Honda. Mazda may be as good or even better than a Toyota or Honda, but I speculate parts are not as plentiful, and techs with knowledge of the Mazda not as ample as a Toyota/ Honda.

JK mentions for his Neese- I come from a thought that we protect our woman... even in vehicle purchases.....
Wendy is a special gal. Her husband, my brother's son, died about 10 years ago leaving her with 2 sets of twin girls. They were living in Arlington, TX at the time. I barely knew him and didn't know her at all. She asked me for help after he died and we bonded; we are very close now. They give dumb ol' uncle jeff purpose.

Wendy is a special gal. Her husband, my brother's son, died about 10 years ago leaving her with 2 sets of twin girls. They were living in Arlington, TX at the time. I barely knew him and didn't know her at all. She asked me for help after he died and we bonded; we are very close now. They give dumb ol' uncle jeff purpose.
I was a big fan of the Mazda 5, but what puts me off on them now is that the off-set impacts are pretty terrible (IIHS - Poor rating) and the transmissions aren't holding up. Unless the minivan had its transmission fluid serviced you will typically see issues between 90k and 130k.

What would I pick? Hmmm.... a Kia Sedona up to the 2014 model year is absolutely excellent. If it has been serviced, the powertrain is durable and safer than the 5. There is also the Nissan Quest but only a low mileage unit (60k miles or less) so that the transmission, again, is serviced. With the data I have at the Long-Term Quality Index this makes all the difference.

The Chrysler minivans are a bit helter skelter. They can last but only seem to age well with older owners (retirees). They also seem to put cheaper plastic parts in all the wrong places and if the 3.6 Liter isn't serviced routinely, it can be big trouble in a hurry.

Odysseys are great if you can work around their weaknesses. Siennas are top notch but so expensive that you're paying about 50% to 70% more for the same features and options. I'm selling a 2011 XLE model with all the options and 200k miles for $8900. A different model with the same miles would be half as much if it were any other model.

Good luck! Also if you're looking for a 2016 or newer model with 60k or fewer miles feel free to PM me.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I was a big fan of the Mazda 5, but what puts me off on them now is that the off-set impacts are pretty terrible (IIHS - Poor rating) and the transmissions aren't holding up. Unless the minivan had its transmission fluid serviced you will typically see issues between 90k and 130k.

What would I pick? Hmmm.... a Kia Sedona up to the 2014 model year is absolutely excellent. If it has been serviced, the powertrain is durable and safer than the 5. There is also the Nissan Quest but only a low mileage unit (60k miles or less) so that the transmission, again, is serviced. With the data I have at the Long-Term Quality Index this makes all the difference.

The Chrysler minivans are a bit helter skelter. They can last but only seem to age well with older owners (retirees). They also seem to put cheaper plastic parts in all the wrong places and if the 3.6 Liter isn't serviced routinely, it can be big trouble in a hurry.

Odysseys are great if you can work around their weaknesses. Siennas are top notch but so expensive that you're paying about 50% to 70% more for the same features and options. I'm selling a 2011 XLE model with all the options and 200k miles for $8900. A different model with the same miles would be half as much if it were any other model.

Good luck! Also if you're looking for a 2016 or newer model with 60k or fewer miles feel free to PM me.
I am looking for a sedan to help with the $5 CA regular gas... She has a '15 Oddy EX-L that I take care of.

They basically stop buying by lowballing everyone... a "soft" stoppage.
If someone actually wants to take their 2/3 offer..... they will buy it.
They've always done it that way on older vehicles they won't retail. Sending them straight to their own auction that they conduct at the back of their location. His 08 Acura would be too old for their retail lot. I think right now the oldest they go is 2011.

No disrespect intended-but that amount is hardly a large capitol risk on CarMax's part. Are they still buying $40,000 or $50,000 pickups?
I don't know.g
Get this, pluged in my brand new Rav4Hybrid in sig... Offered me 29k. They are in too make money in the longgggg. The rich get richer --- middle class is almost dormant now.

Back