Car Insurance ID Card

Which do you prefer? Insurance ID card printed and kept inside your wallet or the image saved in your cellphone? I have a jpg image of the ID card in my cellphone now, but would like to know if others here have done the same.

I stick that little paper card that confirms my insurance along with my vehicles registration documents in a nice envelope and keep it in the glove box of the vehicle. My driver's license is in my wallet and if I'm stopped while operating my vehicle it is all easily accessible when requested.

Paper copy in the car because my state doesn't recognize electronic policy cards. Technically they don't accept paper copies either, but they use the paper copies to verify the information in their electronic system on their laptops.

OP here, So, majority have there's printed out. I thought the digital image ID card is the new norm. This is the first time this year my insurance didn't send a physical card in the mail. I will produce a handy print. Thanks

Last edited:
Physical card because I'm not interested in handing my unlocked phone to anyone.
This made me think of when we were in a restaurant, I checked in on Yelp, and it said there would be a 20% discount, mention it to your server. So I showed the waitress. When the check came, she said the owner wants to see your phone.

I said I'm not going to have you walk away with my phone, so if you don't want to give the discount, then don't (I'm really thinking this will be the 2nd time in my life I leave $0 as the tip). She leaves and comes back and tries to save face, oh, we do give 20% for Yelp. You said it was Groupon. ***. She probably was surprised I still left a 15% tip.

I keep a paper printout of the insurance document clipped to the windshield visor along with the proof of registration. I'm not going to antagonize a LEO by rummaging though the glockbox. I also have both documents along with other documents backed up in digital form on my phone.

Both but this last time during a IL state police safety check this Sat I opted to use my phone instead of going through my center console for my insurance card since it was dark outside and I didn't want the cops to think I was searching for something else.

You can send the card to their phone or hold it while they take a picture.
That's all well and good until someone get's on their high horse and wants your phone.

Unnecessary potential confrontation. They can take the paper and if they lose it or destroy it somehow, I'll get another.

Both but this last time during a IL state police safety check this Sat I opted to use my phone instead of going through my center console for my insurance card since it was dark outside and I didn't want the cops to think I was searching for something else.
Why wouldn't you keep it in your wallet along with your drivers license?

And who takes their phone every time they go out?

Why wouldn't you keep it in your wallet along with your drivers license?

And who takes their phone every time they go out?

I haven't used a wallet since high school because I don't like bulky wallets. I use a card holder with a small cash pocket instead of a wallet because I only carry 5-6 cards with me and a couple bills so the size gets cut down in half. I keep the insurance card in the car because the only time I need is it when I'm in/using the car.

Back