Car Cranks, Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^I suggested perhaps a Crank Position Sensor, or coolant/temp sensor?

A crank sensor or fuel pump would, but not likely the coolant temp or intake air temp sensors.. If it were one of those two, some drive-ability issues would probably surface due to unfavorable fuel/air mixtures.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
What would cause this engine to not start, but crank, and also not throw a CEL code?

Anyone? Anyone?

Dying fuel pump. And it will start sometimes.

This is not difficult, well, too difficult.

1. Does the SES/ck eng light come on when the key is switched to the run/on position? If it doesn't, then you have a power problem to PCM,(been there).

2. Does the SES light go out during cranking? Light stays on-no CKP signal, light goes off-PCM getting CKP signal. No CKP, ck connector for oil contamination/leaking CKP.

If that cks out, ck fuel pressure, spark, and injector pwr/pulse. Main thing is to have some sort of pressure gauge, the other can be diagnosed with a DVOM/test light/noid light.

Anti theft nonsense? Very possible. I hate that stuff!
But do the starting fluid test to make a quick test if it is fueled starved when she won't start.

Wasn't anti-theft. Both keys didn't work. Pressing the gas pedal didn't do anything.

So this morning I started it up and it turned over right away though the idle felt choppy for a second or two. Drove it to the shop and they checked the fuel pump, said it was fine. They mentioned that the plug wires looked old and after I looked through my paperwork, saw that those might have been the originals. Maybe a wire wasn't firing properly?

Had them replace the fuel filter and change the ATF (stuff I was going to take it in for anyways) and then came home and changed the plugs/wires/cleaned throttle body. Have driven it a few times and it feels normal.

Or it could have been the fuel filter. He changed two things at once FF and plug wires. Either one of those could have caused the problem. So we may never know the true cause of the problem, if it now goes away.

So far, so good.

I didn't see any visible damage to any of the wires so my guess would be the fuel filter. Maybe too much restriction and it didn't feed enough fuel to a potentially old/weak fuel pump.

Oh well, as long as it's working.

Well, update for the historical BITOG/Google searches: It was the fuel pump after all.

After the fuel filter and tune-up, it went a month without a hitch. The other day, after my girlfriend was trying to go home, the fuel pump died. I guess it was just weak/dying before but this time it was plain dead. No fuel pressure.

New fuel pump in and back to running like a champ.

Sometimes you can replace the fuel filter and solve a drive-ability issue only to have a pump fail a short period of time later. The plugged up filter is what killed the pump.

^My thoughts too, it's quite possible. Another reason to replace non-lifetime fuel filters on used vehicles you newly acquire.

It was the original fuel pump, so it lasted 11 years and 136k miles. I checked her maintenance file that I keep for all my family's cars and noticed that the prior fuel filter change (that I had paperwork for) was five years and 70k miles earlier. I guess the fuel filter slipped through and went for too long.

^Another reason to replace disposable fuel filters every 30,000 or so, I'd say at least 3 years for instance on the Honda fuel filter for my app, more so on vehicles with age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back