Car Battery Charger with Current Display?

Another cheap option is an ammeter like this, that is connected to your charger cables:

The battery decides how much amperage it accepts at the voltage reaching the battery terminals.

If the current was constant, then voltage would keep climbing once at high states of charge, well above 1, and most 12v batteries at 77f are to remain under 14.8v.

Knowing HOW much amperage is flowing into the battery, at that maximum allowed voltage, is extremely revealing as to battery health and state of charge, as when new that amperage at constant voltage, will taper relatively quickly to the point the battery can be considered fully charged.

When older the battery reaches absorption voltage at a lower state of charge and the amps take much much longer to taper to the level where the battery can be considered fully charged, yet most chargers will still do their egg timer thing and throw the green light and Joe Q ignorant believes the battery is fully charged, when it is not. Ieven if JQI is aware the battery is not fully charged, and tries to restart the charger, often it just quickly switches mack to maintenance voltage and undercharged it remains.

The Ammeter will show joe Q ignorant that is bells and whistles charger is not living upto its marketing claims.
Jimmy Q ignorant will just continue to believe a green light has their best interest in mind.

Ignorance is bliss.

If you can do some simple wire joinery, add one of these, or similar, into the output leads of the charger. Unless it has a temperature sensor on a batteyr clamp, will not affect the operation of the charger:

This device will record amp hours the charger returns to the battery, allowing one to infer how discharged their battery was
It will record the maximum amperage the charger delivered
it will show voltage, and amperage, and do the calculation to display wattage the battery is accepting at that voltage.

These wattmeters are imperfect under about 0.4 amps, usually reading about 0.15 amps too little and under 0.2 amps might read 0.0 amps, so they become less useful on smaller batteries which will taper well below this number when held at charging voltages for long enough. The wattmeters vry pretty widely in how well they do at low amperage, I've had some be pretty respectable, some totally dismissable under 0.6 amps

There re some other shunted ammeters available, with a larger external shunt which can handle 50 or 100 or 200 amps, but few have chargers capable of this much juice.

I have 2 versions of the wattmeter linked above with 8AWG leads, and 45 amp Anderson Powerpoles connectors, and have started my 5.2 liter v8 engine through them.
the 1.4KW starter motor(output) requires nearly 1800 watts of input. I also have a 100 amp adjustable voltage power supply and these wattmeters and their 45 amp connectors see over 50 amps continuous for upto a half hour so far, without issue

I applaud interest in knowing how much amperage a charger is delivering to the battery, and the max voltages the charger is allowing, and for how long they are allowed. I wish more members had this interest and would share data about what their specific charger is doing and then there could be a consensus which charger is actualy capable of delivering the battery to high states of charge before throwing the green light and reverting to a float/maintenance voltage, where very little if ANY additional charging occurs. It depends on the health of the battery, but sufficed to say a older battery held at 13.2v float, is not going to do much if any additional charging.

Actual data is key to judging whether a charger is doing a good job or not, but for 95% a green light and dazzling marketing jibberish, is more than good enough.

It is the right thing to do. But I’m not sure of one.

When ai have to know, I either use a clamp on and/or a multimeter in series.

A419A567-F269-41B1-981E-31536DA01AF9.jpeg

I'm an old retired guy with OLD tools. Reading this post & I smile, as I have an OLD Motgomery Wards mechanical type charger that I've had FOREVER. It has a old analog type needle reader showing the AMPS while charging. If TOO much current is going to the battery (it's a 6 AMP charger, it will shut the current off. I can watch the meter reading needle & see how it's charging. AND as a bonus, when it (battery) reaches full charge, it quits charging. Pretty simple. Old technology but like the pink bunny, keeps on going.:)

I use a Schumacher "Ship N Shore" fully auto charger. It will charge 2/10/15 amps for regular, deep cycle and AGM/gel batteries. It can display both charging rate and battery percentage. I bought it nearly 12 years ago from Walmart and use it fairly often. It still works like a champ.

I use a Schumacher "Ship N Shore" fully auto charger. It will charge 2/10/15 amps for regular, deep cycle and AGM/gel batteries. It can display both charging rate and battery percentage.
According to the owner's manual, it only displays voltage and charge %.

The charging rate is just the max rate you select (2/10/15), but it is not the actual current that is being delivered, which is what I was asking.

Last edited:
According to the owner's manual, it only displays voltage and charge %.

The charging rate is just the max rate you select (2/10/15), but it is not the actual current that is being delivered, which is what I was asking.
Mine shows how many volts it's producing (sending to the battery) in real time. Is that not what you're asking? It varies throughout the charging cycle. It will even detect a sulfated battery and kick over to a pulse charge until the battery gets enough juice back in it to accept a continuous charge.

The battery chargers I own for my NiMH and Li-Ion cylindrical cells all have a display that shows amps and volts during the charge cycle. Some people only want to see indicator LEDs during charging, but I like to see amps and volts displayed. In my car, I installed an oil pressure gauge and a volts gauge so I would not have to rely on uninformative "idiot lights".

It's strange to me that the majority of lead acid battery chargers lack a voltmeter and ammeter duo.

Thanks. No, I'm looking for automatic. The reason for current display was mainly to see that the charger is handling the CV phase correctly by slowly reducing charging current.

Hmmm... this is a natural process, a logarithmic decrease. So long as you trust the voltmeter, this essentially has to happen, short of having an internal short (in which case youll see a low voltage anyway).

Hmmm... this is a natural process, a logarithmic decrease. So long as you trust the voltmeter, this essentially has to happen, short of having an internal short (in which case youll see a low voltage anyway).
But the minimum current below which charging terminates is up to each charger manufacturer, is it not?

But the minimum current below which charging terminates is up to each charger manufacturer, is it not?

That is true. Or perhaps more specifically, the termination current is a function of the battery energy content.

This is where there are two angles...

If “good enough” is sufficient, trust the algorithm that’s in there. As long as you’ve got lots of time, it’s probably a specific set number that’s ok for the range of the battery sizes recommended by the charger manufacturer, and also potentially based upon the ripple/harmonic levels from the converter topology.

If you want something more, then setups like @wrcsixeight drscribes, with much more manual control, and other sensing, are necessary. And that’s not just a charger with anmmeter.

I think my challenge/curiosity remains. You might be able to see what the current level is, but if you can’t change the firmware in the charger, it’s not going to change the situation.

Maybe a data logging multimeter would be best? Then you could know how far off the charge termination might be, and you can use a digital low voltage/low current power supply to get it a bit further. There are some good digital ones out there.

Maybe a data logging multimeter would be best? Then you could know how far off the charge termination might be, and you can use a digital low voltage/low current power supply to get it a bit further. There are some good digital ones out there.
The Victron one BeerCan posted earlier with bluetooth seems to have a lot of visualizations and configurability through the phone app. Not terribly expensive either. I might put it on my wish list.

Thanks all.

Thanks. No, I'm looking for automatic. The reason for current display was mainly to see that the charger is handling the CV phase correctly by slowly reducing charging current.
I have an industrial charger for 12v AGM motive power batteries. No gauge but it has a two step charging if you want to use it. One is equalize setting and this over rides the voltage controlled charging but will time out after a couple hours. If just plugged in it just does a ~14.7V constant voltage charge. No gauge but it puts out 75A max and goes down to mA.

The chargers were integrated into the battery and we use to throw them away at work when a battery came back for waraanty.

Is there a decent car battery charger out there that displays actual (real-time) charging current and that does not cost an arm and a leg?
I don't get the question. Any number of chargers on Amazon have Amps on their digital displays.

The first one I clicked on has one:

Or this:

No recommendations, as my old Vector (Now Black & Decker) charges, with Amp displays, are no longer available, and I have no experience with the above.

I don't get the "answers" here. Instead of recommending a charger, lessons in battery charging, and lectures about what you don't need to know. :rolleyes:

Of course I want to see the Amperage. It lets me know the current state of discharge of the battery. This is a diagnostic item. If I crank for 10 seconds and the battery then charges at X Amps, and later suddenly that turns to X*4 amps, or X/4 amps, I know something has changed.

The Victron one BeerCan posted earlier with bluetooth seems to have a lot of visualizations and configurability through the phone app. Not terribly expensive either. I might put it on my wish list.

Thanks all.
You can download the bluetooth app and use it in demo mode. That way you can see what you can configure and look at some graphs.

I like mine because I charge non standard batteries so I can change all the settings to my liking. I use it in place of a BMS on my 24v repurposed EV batteries. If course I use the 24v one but 12v is available

Back