Canning Pressure Cooking/Cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up Presto 16 qt pressure canning cooker. I am going to start to can all sorts of foods for dry storage in the pantry. This Fall, I want to process tomato's, hot sauce, veggies, etc. I heard non acid type foods need the 240 temp to kill bacteria. Been U-Tubing to get a general feel for doing this.....any experts out there?

Ball Canning has a good book on canning for sale. You may want to get one, about $6.50 or so. Walmart used to sell it in the same area as canning supplies. It tells you everything you need to know. We get our guidance from an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook also, if you can find one of those.

Just keep a little room at the top for each jar when filling. And uh, don't forget to depressurize when finished.

Other than that, it's pretty easy. You can also make braises in less than half the time.

Canning is fun and easy.

We can from our garden Every year.

+1 on the Ball book and equipment, Makes it a breeze.

Have Fun!

Well....I canned 7 pints or wide mouth quarts of zucchini today. The lid has a pop off valve, tube valve with a pressure device, and a pressure gauge. The pop off valve blew steam the whole time, the tube/tumbler/rattler never rattled and the gauge read a steady 5lbs. I was a tad paranoid to add any more heat. Ran the run of zucchini for 30 minutes and at 5 lbs it states 228 degrees. Not sure if I need to run up the heat or if the gauge is off. When removing the bottles, the water in the bottles was boiling. What do you all think?

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Well....I canned 7 pints or wide mouth quarts of zucchini today. The lid has a pop off valve, tube valve with a pressure device, and a pressure gauge. The pop off valve blew steam the whole time, the tube/tumbler/rattler never rattled and the gauge read a steady 5lbs. I was a tad paranoid to add any more heat. Ran the run of zucchini for 30 minutes and at 5 lbs it states 228 degrees. Not sure if I need to run up the heat or if the gauge is off. When removing the bottles, the water in the bottles was boiling. What do you all think?

Zucchini is a low acid food and MUST be pressure canned strictly according to approved procedures. 30 minutes at 5 lbs pressure is NOT sufficient to kill botulism spores. According to the USDA:

"Recommendations for canning summer squashes, including zucchini, that appeared in former editions of So Easy to Preserve or USDA bulletins have been withdrawn due to uncertainty about the determination of processing times. Squashes are low-acid vegetables and require pressure canning for a known period of time that will destroy the bacteria that cause botulism. Documentation for the previous processing times cannot be found, and reports that are available do not support the old process. Slices or cubes of cooked summer squash will get quite soft and pack tightly into the jars. The amount of squash filled into a jar will affect the heating pattern in that jar. It is best to freeze summer squashes or pickle them for canning, but they may also be dried."

The former editions had recommended 90 minutes at 15 lbs pressure, a far cry from your conditions. I strongly suggest you refrigerate those jars immediately. If you canned them more than 24 hours ago, I suggest you dump them.

I have been canning for over 35 years and it is a fun and fruitful hobby, but it must be taken seriously to be safe. You need to do a lot of reading before putting up food for your family. The Ball book is a great start, and there are lots of online sources as well, such as:

National Center for Home Food Preservation

Beware of family recipes and magazine recommendations - you need to do your homework.

Read, read, read, read, can!

Tom NJ

Thank you Tom,

I will dump them and try again. I did a run today after finding the instructions booklet online. It is a vintage 1971 presto 16A 16qt pressure cooker/canner. It runs a bit different than the new models. I followed the online instructions and it held a steady 15 lbs during the test. Again, thanks.....and I finally figured this out.

Trying this one out Sunday:

Ingredients
•4 cups thickly sliced pickling cucumbers (8 to 10 pickling cucumbers)
•1 cup sliced red bell peppers (about 1 small)
•1 cup sliced onion (about 1 medium)
•2 tablespoons pickling salt
•1 cup apple cider vinegar
•3/4 cup granulated sugar
•1 tablespoon mustard seed
•1 teaspoon celery seed
•1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
•1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Procedures

1. 1

Prepare two pint jars and a small canning pot. Combine the sliced cucumbers, bell peppers, onion, and pickling salt in a colander set in a large bowl. Refrigerate for one hour to remove excess liquid. Rinse vegetables and discard liquid.

2. 2

Combine the vinegar and sugar in a large pot. Heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the mustard seed, celery seed, red pepper flakes and cloves. Increase the heat to high and bring the brine to a boil.

3. 3

Add the drained vegetables and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, until all the vegetables in the brine are fully heated through. Using tongs, fill the sterilized jars with the vegetables. Slowly pour the hot brine over the vegetables in each jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

4. 4

Gently tap the jars on a towel-lined countertop to help loosen any bubbles before using a wooden chopstick to dislodge any remaining bubbles. Check the headspace again and add more brine if necessary.

5. 5

Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Let these pickles cure for at least 48 hours before eating.

Do not depressurize it. Let the canner cool and the pressure will go down on its own. If you depressurize it quickly, sometimes your jars will not seal correctly.

Originally Posted By: wvrailroader
Do not depressurize it. Let the canner cool and the pressure will go down on its own. If you depressurize it quickly, sometimes your jars will not seal correctly.

Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back