Can you build a small-block V8 faster than a high school kid?

folks, let's not rain on this parade. It is cool that some kids even want to do this. Truth is, it is a fading bread that wants to turn wrenches for pleasure or income.

This reminds me of the NASCAR engine builder competition I saw years ago on tv, or the weekly routine of the NHRA faithful!!!

Just my $0.02

I think before any awards are given, someone should require the students to prove the motor will actually start and run!

:)

Ed
Hendrick Motorsports has an engine building competition for their NASCAR engine builders. Its fun watching them starting the engine by turning the dizzy until it fires off.

I'm sure its not completely apart. Installing cam bearings, and checking clearances etc, pressing pins in rods and pistons, etc.
And how many working together? If I had what tools they were using and being only 1 person I could come close.
That is not rebuilding it. Thats take apart put together, but just the easy stuff. Hmmm wonder if the rod bearings are glued on just incase?

Last edited:
This isn't "building an engine" in 17 minutes.

This is bolting engine parts together in 17 minutes and frankly, is not an incredible feat for anyone who's assembled one before.

As mentioned, this is merely a presentation, entertainment.

I think Wyotech or a similar trade school does this.

They let the contestants use a drill to prime the oil pump, though. They dump a gallon of oil in when it's mostly assembled, and do actually fire it off and run it, briefly.

Well the title is misleading. Wasn't a high school kid. It was teams of 5 high school kids each. Crankshaft, camshaft, oil pump did not get removed. Did not see any lifters come out either. Surprised me that they actually used torque wrenches. Impressive none the less.

Don

That sounds about like how ATK builds their remans :ROFLMAO:

Right. I've encountered several of their remans and they all suck.

You ever watch NHRA on Sundays? 75 minutes between rounds and they’re going through the whole engine and changing other stuff on the car.

Exactly. That also includes unhooking the fuel system and dual magnetos, the big 14-71 blower and hat, draining the oil, and then disassembling down to a bare block before rebuilding all the way back up, test fired, out of the pits, and in the lanes in 75 minutes. Granted they have power tools, but they are hustling.

Back