Can Motor Oil Saver or MOS2 Cause Stuck Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can products like Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver and MOS2 cause stuck rings?

I have been using Motor Oil Saver (in Rotella T6) for years and for a while was using MOS2 motor oil and Motor Oil Saver to reduce startup smoke.

I have no plan on not using the product but wonder what negative long term affects there might be from using them long term. Been using it for last 68,000 mi.

I can see you're having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that your engine is worn out.

The Molly is helping the rings seal. I bet you could get another couple hundred k mikes by going to thicker oil and perhaps try the restore product. Run 1000 miles then recheck compression.

I just have lots of questions? Doesn't help that when it snows I dont work so I get board and start thinking too much. When the weather warms up and I am busy at work, I dont have time to think about things. I just add oil and drive, add more oil and driver more then stop to check the level of the gas and add more oil
smile.gif

Driving the Land Cruiser you would not even know it has the miles it has. It still pulls hard and keeps up or passes most commuter traffic on my way to Denver. In the mountains is another story, its first or 2nd gear red line all the way up but still keeps at hwy speeds.

I had no idea that the FZJ80 would last this long. I dont plan on replacing it till it dies and so far, it has not let me down or had any major problems that were not a result of my doings.

This is more for my next vehicle. Just wondering if using additives to reduce smoke cause other unwanted problems like stuck rings or other problems? I have heard that "once you start using X additive product, you cant stop using it as the motor wont run right without it" Is this true?

Last edited:
What makes stuck rings is a smoker. If you add something that helps decrease smoke, youre winning already.

Compression Results 436,000 mi
Dry - Wet
#1 135 - 145
#2 145 - 160
#3 140 - 160
$4 145 - 150
#5 150 - 170
#6 155 - 170

Per Factory Service Manual
New 171 psi or better
Min 128 psi
Max between cylinders 14 psi or less

Originally Posted By: landtoy80
I just have lots of questions? Doesn't help that when it snows I dont work so I get board and start thinking too much.

That's alright.
I'm the same way. I really think you should try the restore.

I started using additives to reduce startup smoke so I could pass emissions. Moved away from emissions test area and kept using the additives as I didn't like a big blue cloud when starting, a bit embarrassing. Now that I am back in testing area I dont want to be called in for smoking. The additives work so I almost have to keep using them or go to a $$$ smoke free oil. Its cheaper to just buy an additive.

I am sure my next vehicle, if the Land Cruiser ever dies, will have high miles as I dont want to make payments, so I would like to know if there are affect of using additive.

If using smoke reducing additives have no affect on the rest of the engine I will keep using them but it does have negative affects, it would be cheaper in the long run to just fix the problem.

The smoke started about 250,000 mi but was very minor blue puff. At 350,000 it got embarrassing and I started dealing with it with additives. At that time I had no idea that the motor would keep going at 400,000 mi let along 436,000 mi.

I would not think twice about foxing valve seals with under 300,000 mi but opening a motor with almost a half million miles could cause more problems than just dealing adding additives.

The oil combo that made the least smoke was MOS2 10w40 with Motor Oil Saver but it was too thick for winter use and got costly. Now that the oil is getting thinned out from the blowby, I will be going to a 3000 mi +/- oil change interval. Not sure what oil and additive to use.

Originally Posted By: landtoy80
I tried Restore and Lucas before I tried Motor Oil Saver about 70,000 mi ago with no reduction in start up smoke.

Don't look in the mirror when you start it up. Fixed
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back