Can I use 3M Weatherstripping Adhesive to fix interior of door?

in the 98 camry, I just noticed that the interior lining of the driver's door is coming off.

I recently purchased 3m Black Weatherstripping Adhesive.

Can I use it to fix the lining, to the door? I put a red x on the area that is coming off.

Camry Door.jpg

I guess my next question is--if it will work, will it be a sloppy job, or only work for a short while? I already have this product, but if it would not be the proper product for this application, it doesn't make sense for me to try to make this work.

Maybe, but probably not the proper product.

Usually, when things like this fail it isn't the adhesive that fails but the foam backing, much like a headliner.

You would probably be better off using a spray contact adhesive if it is clean behind there and was an adhesive failure. If it is a foam failure, pulling it off, cleaning the underlying surface, and recovering in the new material is about all you can do.

in the 98 camry, I just noticed that the interior lining of the driver's door is coming off.

I recently purchased 3m Black Weatherstripping Adhesive.

Can I use it to fix the lining, to the door? I put a red x on the area that is coming off.

View attachment 135936

I guess my next question is--if it will work, will it be a sloppy job, or only work for a short while? I already have this product, but if it would not be the proper product for this application, it doesn't make sense for me to try to make this work.
This is what I used when I replaced a few headliners. It will work great for the door panel material.

Attachments

• 3M.jpg
    3M.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 30
Is that can the 77 spray? It is the only one I see on the 3m spray adhesive page, that is black and red, but its worth making sure:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40071862/#variation3
There is the 3M spray adhesive I posted and the 77 brand that you posted.
I have never seen the 77. What I originally posted is all I have ever used. :unsure:🤷‍♀️

I would think the weatherstripping adhesive would work. I have had good results with a hot glue gun on many different applications. I put it right next to the duct tape haha.

Thanks for the recommendation. I decided to get the product you recommended. It went on quick and easy. We'll see how long it lasts, but I don't think that will be an issue. This car only has to last a couple more years....

There is the 3M spray adhesive I posted and the 77 brand that you posted.
I have never seen the 77. What I originally posted is all I have ever used. :unsure:🤷‍♀️

Back