Can I run a mower without a blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a kid i fashioned a laminated 8" plywood flywheel, and balanced it for tinkering purposes. i always stayed out of its plane. smooth, but scarey.

utility engines with thick iron sheaves just putt-putt so smoothly!!

un-flywheeled engines are a pain to start, can vibrate badly (rotationally) and can run rough.

Mike

Well, in terms of sweeping generalizations - sure. My Honda Masters runs "without a blade" all the time since the blade is engaged through a clutch mechanism.

Of course that also means that in the case of my Honda, it has been designed so that the blade is not some key part of the engine operation (i.e. instead of a flywheel).

Pressure washers run without pump load, generators run without electrical load, go karts idle which changing drivers, why couldn't lawn mowers run without a blade?

pressure washers have a heavier flywheel. gensets have a heavy armature, go karts have a heavy flywheel. Mowers have an aluminum flywheel designed to cool and swing a magnet. blade-clutch mowers, I would assume, either rely on clutch weight, or a heavier flywheel.

Personally, the blade clutch thing sounds great but seems to add unneeded weight--- would rather just velcro the panic handle down if I have to go move a tennis ball.

M

I just put on a replacement genuine Toro blade and it runs perfectly with no vibrations. I still can't figure how I got so lucky because of the violent way the motor stopped should have broken something. The old blade was a bit warped and twisted. I didn't try running it without the blade after all.

In lawnmower class we were told that briggs engines will run without a blade. tecumsehs would not. and supposedly not all techumseh's are created equal - any one mounted on a toro with "tnt" in the code was made to toro specs. I would not take this as golden - as others have noted - there are variations and exceptions.

As someone else alluded, I think this "Yes you can run it without a blade" / "No you can't" confusion is caused by the presence or absence of a cast iron flywheel. Back in the day, I think most B&S engines, regardless of application were built with cast iron flywheels which provided the necessary rotational inertia to make the motor run and run smoothly even with nothing at all connected to the output shaft. Don't know about older other brands but I suspect that might have been the case for them as well. Eventually, someone figured out than in certain applications (lawnmowers with fixed attached blades for one) that the fixed external rotating mass provided enough of a flywheel that a cast iron flywheel wasn't needed (and if you don't need it, making the flywheel out of Aluminum can save a substantial amount of engine weight and lower the engine cost without compromising performance). So, newer lawnmower engines are likely to have aluminum flywheels and will either not run at all or will run poorly (at least on mowers where the blades are attached right to the output shaft).

All vendors (Honda, B&S, Techumseh, etc.) still make engines with cast iron flywheels for applications where there is not sufficient fixed rotating external mass (ride on mowers, horizontal shaft generic engines, tillers, etc.). Naturally these engines will run with the output shaft completely disconnected from everything.

From the OP's fix, it seems clear that he simply bent the blades which therefore became in essence a very badly balanced flywheel. The suggestions to check the half moon keys were good ones though, I've had partially broken or sheared half moon keys stop a motor dead in it's tracks after hitting something, sometimes even when I thought that it didn't take that hard of a hit.

In my experience, heavy flywheels are usually used in riding mower applications. I have two Toro walk behind mowers with Briggs engines. One has a BBC (blade brake clutch, or as Toro calls it, a blade override system.) The other has the normal bail control with the flywheel brake. Both engines have the exact same flywheel. The only difference between the two is the crankshaft PTO ends, one is shorter for the clutch mount.

I have had numerous small engines over the past 15 years and all have had aluminum flywheels. There is little difference between crankshaft orientation or engine application. The two major differences are for electric start and/or a charging coil.

As long as the governor works, running an engine without a blade is no big deal.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I tried to pull start a mower once without a blade and it almost ripped my arm off.

DITTO!

I can tell you for sure that a Lawnboy two stroke will not run without a blade, or I can at least tell you for sure that mine wouldn't.
I removed the engine to scrape out the exhaust ports, and tried starting it before reinstalling the blade, just to see how it would run.
No go on the start, which had me worried.
Ran fine after I put the blade back on, however.
I attributed this to the flywheel effect of the blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back