can I mix maxlife blend with maxlife full synth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wandering if it is ok to mix 3 qts 5w30 blend with 3 qts 5w30 full synthetic? I need six quarts and have three of each on the shelf.
patriot.gif

You could, but I would not run it too much longer than you would just a blend. I've done it on 2 occasions when getting oil on fire sales without any issues, but no UOA to prove anything.

Probably not worth doing. Regular Maxlife is good enough for most purposes. If you want better, go all synthetic. If you call Valvoline I susect they will tell you it's okay to mix them.

Quote:

Just wandering if it is ok to mix 3 qts 5w30 blend with 3 qts 5w30 full synthetic? I need six quarts and have three of each on the shelf.
patriot.gif

Go right ahead! All oils are compatable. It's best to stay with one brand when blending dinos, syn-blends and full synthetics & that's exactly what you're doing -- all Valvoline in this blend.

This is why I try to find out what is "probably" in oils.

Right now I'm running 12 qt V. SynPower 20W50 (PAO per MSDS) and topping off with Maxlife (blend, ~17% PAO). It's a 911 and consumes ~1qt/600 miles and has 12qt changes (total sump is ~14qt). So the SynPower almost gets 2/3rds replaced with Maxlife in 6K miles. So I 'likely' start with all GrpIV and the blend % moves toward GrpII.

In your case, I don't know the likely % or the blend or on the full synth, but it could be a GrpII, III, IV cocktail atleast from same vendor.

Just the 14 quart sump alone is enough for me to want a Porsche.
drool.gif

EDIT! You mean to tell me that only 12 out of a total of 14 quarts is alowed to drain out on an oil change? Where's the other 2 quarts floating around at?
confused.gif

Last edited:
If I had to throw out a guess, I'd say the remaining 2 qts remain in the oil cooler and lines. But then again, I'm not all that familiar with this engine - a boxer (H) cylinder layout? Then I would also think that there's likely some residing in the rocker covers as well?

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back