Can find a lever gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a cowboy lever action rifle. 1. For hunting and plinking. 2. To do cowboy action shoot outs. I really like the Henry big boy but I cant do $1000+ for one only to drop it in the dirt every week.

Cant stand the straight stock on the marlin 336. I like the feel of the Marlin 1895 but i cant do $2 a shot.

Kinda looking for a marlin 1894 but none to be found.

Been checking the pawn shops weekly. But they want full price for a worn out gun of any type.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I want a cowboy lever action rifle. 1. For hunting and plinking. 2. To do cowboy action shoot outs. I really like the Henry big boy but I cant do $1000+ for one only to drop it in the dirt every week.

Cant stand the straight stock on the marlin 336. I like the feel of the Marlin 1895 but i cant do $2 a shot.

Kinda looking for a marlin 1894 but none to be found.

Been checking the pawn shops weekly. But they want full price for a worn out gun of any type.
How does a straight grip 336 feel any different than a straight grip 1895? If you like the pistol grip 1895 you can get a pistol grip 336. Shooting either one is going to get pricey if you get into cowboy action shooting. Reloading is mandatory unless your budget is big. 1894s in .44 mag are fairly common so you should be able to score one if you keep an eye out.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The good ones are getting harder and harder to find.
They're doing better. I have a 2015 1895 that is just as nice as my pre crossbolt JM guns. Minus the crossbolt and warning labels nonsense.

I picked up a Uberti 1873 .357mag... takes .38spcl also.
Loads of fun to shoot.
No recoil with .38spcl.
Good enough for deer with .357mag.

The Uberti and the Winchester are right at 1k.
Look around for a Rossi, they run a little cheaper.
Try Kentucky Gun Company or Buds gun shop.

Gun Broker. Works like eBay. You bid. If you win, payment per the seller's terms (money order, generally).

I've bought a couple guns via gun Broker (older rifles) and you've got to add shipping (if it's not included) and the transfer fee, but generally, you can skip sales tax. The transfer isn't bad - my FFL charges $25 for the transfer.

New Marlin 1894, in .45 colt, for $700. Several examples in various calibers.

Last edited:
Gunbroker tends to be on the overpriced side. I'd use it as a last resort. Check out classified on Marlin Owners forums. Put a WTB add in there. Also, take a look for Browning BLR as a used option. The BLR is an impressive lever, probably not what your looking for, but it's an option.

I don't think you mentioned caliber. Are you looking for 357, 44, or rifle caliber?

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Big Boys are not 1,000+ You can pick up a new one for $699
not here. Plus all the california stuff they add to a gun buyer and its 1k by the time im walking out the door.

Look for a Rossi 92.

You get the tough as nails 92 type action along with a King's gate. The lack of a King's gate really killed me on guns as expensive as the Henry's

The one major downside is that the 92-type action is inherently "notchy" but it will smooth out with use.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Big Boys are not 1,000+ You can pick up a new one for $699

I just don't like the way they load.... through the top of the tube..... like a cheap .22.
A lever gun needs to load from the side.

But that's just me, others may not care.

Love the Marlins. Have wanted an 1894 in .357 for decades, of course I never got around to buying one and now they are rare as hen's teeth and quite expensive, at least around here.

I hit the motherload today! Since I was off work today i went to sone other pawn shops I cant get to during my work week.

Found a shop that has a whole slew of leverguns. I put a marlin 3082 on layaway. 30-30. Looks pretty decent for a 30+yr old gun. Hopefully it shoots straight.

Be VERY, VERY careful with a used Marlin 1894. Remington bought them out around 2012, and the quality went straight down the tubes. I put $300 into gunsmithing to somewhat fix the "Marlin Jam", I only paid $569 for it new. When I say somewhat, I mean that it would run snap caps just fine, and some 357 empty cartridges fine, and others not. While it would be a good hunting/plinking gun; I can't foresee how bad it would have to get to use it as a defense gun. It is telling also that Marlin is only making new 1894's in 44 Mag. They could make TONS OF MONEY for a reliable 357 carbine. Apparently, there are problems that don't make economic sense for Cerberus (Remington's corporate parent). Regrettably, I must concur with the recommendation for a Rossi, and do the slicking job yourself. Steve's Gunz sells a DVD that shows you how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back