Can a fuel system cleaner skew a UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few weeks ago I put a bottle of valvoline maxlife fuel system cleaner in a tank of gasoline in my 350 silverado. About a week later I had a uoa done which showed high sodium and potasium. I am showing no coolant use so could the fuel system cleaner be showing what blackstone is saying is an antifreeze problem?

I'm interested in this as well, but my high levels were lead and iron after using Lucas Fuel Treatment/UCL. Lucas has said the FT/UCL does not contain lead, only pure petroleum. The lab asked about using leaded gas (no) or a lead additive (unsure?). The '97 Nissan VQ30 engine only had less than 80,000 miles, all maintenance up to date, running Mobil 1 5w30. I'm really hoping it's not my bearings (my lead was 61 ppm!). Thanks.

Dave

Anything that goes into the engine has a chance of getting into the oil, but should be minor. I use Techron in my gasoline engines every 5,000 km and a Diesel conditioner (every tank) in the diesels (about 6 of each). I don't see anything out of the norm on analisis when I compare to other analisis of people who are not using them.
Although when I first started using the diesel conditioner my TBN shot up and soot down.

I've had the same questions and my oil analysis's have always shown higher lead levels when using a fuel system cleaner. My last analysis also showed high potassium which Terry Dyson said was a coolant leak on my 5.7L chevy truck. Next week I'm getting a cooling system pressure check to see if it shows anything.

Thanks Doug and thanks to everyone who responded. I just changed oil today and again will be sending a sample to blacksone to see if they find any glycol this time. I decided to have another sample done so to be sure there is a problem before I have a mechanic look at the intake manifold gasket. The sample only had 500 miles on it so hopefully it will not show high potassium this time. Wait and see. Regards Ryan

Yeah, but what is Porsche's reasoning? Fuel system/injector damage?

I think that bad UOAs are just a coincidence if bottle directions were followed.

Lets say you take 16 ounces of FI cleaner and mix it with 16 gallons of gas. Thats a 1:128 ratio.
And, lets say you have 10% blowby.
How much is actually getting into the gallon of oil especially when only ONE(out of 10+ during that oils usages)tank of fuel was used during the oil's life that had FI cleaner?

Since my last post, I have found another thread that may shed some light on this subject, or get some discussion going till we find an answer (other post by shortyb, here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000657). A theory (which sounds totally plausible to me, but I am in no way an expert) is that the concentrated fuel injector cleaner is breaking off deposits that are then making their way in to the oil. These deposits could be from unnecessarily high octane fuels, octane boost, injector cleaners, etc... These deposits can either be abrasive, or using up the base neutralizing compounds in the oil, allowing corrosion of bearing and other surfaces.
In my case, I had been running Exxon 93 octane pretty much exclusively for 2 years. My only 2 analysis showed elevated lead and iron, but below normal upper engine wear metals. The lab asked if I'd been using leaded gas, or an additive. I had used a certain Fuel Treatment/UCL several times during both oil runs. I have stopped using the FT/UCL after 2nd analysis, have run one oil change with Castrol GTX through as a "flush" (had used Mobil 1 5w30 for 2 analysis), and am getting near analysis time with my current GTX 10w30. This may help shed some light on this subject. I have also stopped using Exxon 93 within the past week, but that'll probably be a little too late to affect this coming analysis one way or the other.
BTW, my engine is a '97 Nissan VQ with less than 80,000 miles. I believe shortyb's is a 2000 Nissan VQ, with about 96,000 miles. From info I've seen, these engines normally don't have high levels of lead or iron as we both had. We both also ran 93 octane fuel (his Amoco, mine Exxon) exclusively, and treated our fuels (his BG 44k and mine Lucas).
I appreciate any comments on this subject, so please post away concerning the original post.

Dave

I also got a higher than normal Pb reading on my last UOA
shocked.gif
. I wonder too if it's due to the heavy use of Lucas UCL and RedLine SI-1 during my last OCI. I've decided to hold off on the use of fuel system cleaners until my next UOA and see if the Pb level goes down.

Too much of anything is not always a good thing
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blokey:
I also got a higher than normal Pb reading on my last UOA
shocked.gif
. I wonder too if it's due to the heavy use of Lucas UCL and RedLine SI-1 during my last OCI. --snip--

I'm not sure if it would be the lucas. I think it is just a plain low end oil, nothing fancy...

As far as I'm aware, Lead can show up in the oil test because:
1.bering wear
2.gasoline
3.** Octane - improver**

Terry, can you explain more about HOW it skews things? I notice that whenever I've added fuel system cleaner, the oil becomes darker faster for one (cleaning?) and notice that it looks like one big "bubble" on the dipstick. Meaning it doesn't form a straight line across, but a kinda has an "oil droplet on water" look to it. Why does this occur?

In addition as this occurs, consumption seems to increase as well...

quote:

Originally posted by Dave H:
Since my last post, I have found another thread that may shed some light on this subject, or get some discussion going till we find an answer (other post by shortyb, here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000657). We both also ran 93 octane fuel (his Amoco, mine Exxon) exclusively, and treated our fuels (his BG 44k and mine Lucas).

I'm about to send in my UOA for the 96K-101K interval. For this OCI I used no oil or fuel adds. Terry Dyson has been very insightful for my specific needs regarding this vehicle and I'm starting a regime based on his suggestions. I think my elevated Pb came from the use of a "shock" treatment in the fuel and the subsequent cleaning/lead leachate thereof. Based on this, I have to agree that fuel treats can skew UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back