California Homeschool Parents Are Criminals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
according to their "supreme" court.

If you want to homeschool your child, and you have the time, energy, and patience, I say more power to you.

My advice? Get out of California now.

If kids are homeschooled, they might begin to think critically of the standard-issue mindset and may escape industrial discipline. We can't have that, could you imagine a world of intelligent, articulate, free-thinking individuals?!

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
If kids are homeschooled, they might begin to think critically of the standard-issue mindset and may escape industrial discipline. We can't have that, could you imagine a world of intelligent, articulate, free-thinking individuals?!

thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
My advice? Get out of California now.

Did that 14 years ago. One of the best thing I ever have done.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
My advice? Get out of the US now.

Fixed!

The majority of people in this country are beyond help. This comes as no surprise at all.

How do you guys feel about the social interaction skills of a homeschooled child? Not trying to be mean or judgemental, but the adolescents I've met that were homeschooled seemed a little 'odd' to me, and I can't help but feel that they're not getting any real-world experience by not going to school. I would imagine the first time someone bullies them or treats them badly / unfairly, they have no idea how to react or what to do. I don't see the advantage to home-schooling beyond keeping a kid completely sheltered from what goes on outside your own 4 walls. Is that really a good idea?

Answer: Include some martial arts training, and instruction as to when to use it and when not to, in your child's curriculum. Better that than having your kids go to school with the animals roaming wild out there these days.

A socially awkward kid that can kick everyone's [censored]. Not sure that's the answer, but it's interesting.

Speaking from very close experience, people who spend 18 years sheltering their kids from the freaks, animals, bad people, etc. end up regretting it because they they then have a young adult that can't do anything for himself and is traumatized by everything that happens in normal everyday life. I'm not saying that you should hurl your 10-year-old child into the street so he can learn that the world is far from a perfect place, but some experience is better than none.

I wouldn't want my 6 year old being told what is ok and not sexually by a school sysem. I'd feel the same if I was gay, Christian, Muslim, Atheist, or any combination of the above.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Answer: Include some martial arts training, and instruction as to when to use it and when not to, in your child's curriculum. Better that than having your kids go to school with the animals roaming wild out there these days.

AMEN to that my brother.
07.gif

Originally Posted By: CBDFrontier06
How do you guys feel about the social interaction skills of a homeschooled child? Not trying to be mean or judgemental, but the adolescents I've met that were homeschooled seemed a little 'odd' to me, and I can't help but feel that they're not getting any real-world experience by not going to school. I would imagine the first time someone bullies them or treats them badly / unfairly, they have no idea how to react or what to do. I don't see the advantage to home-schooling beyond keeping a kid completely sheltered from what goes on outside your own 4 walls. Is that really a good idea?

That's a gross generalization. Most of the homeschooled kids I've met that seem a little 'odd' have parents that are a little 'odd' too. And I know plenty of public school kids that could be considered 'odd', many times again with parents the same way. I don't think the homeschooling is to blame, but that a higher percentage of this type of person chooses to homeschool.

For the record, I know plenty of people that are homeschooled that are better socially than I am.

I would imagine the first time someone bullies them or treats them badly / unfairly, they have no idea how to react or what to do.
Hey, I went to government schools and I still didn't know how to react to bullies. It was only after I started working out and put on a fair amount of muscle in my late teens that bullies more or less left me alone.

Check this site out: http://www.honestedu.com

I think they are fine. They are respectful, well mannered, and are often a joy to be around. And yes, this makes them odd when compared to the typical teenager we see in public school.

The socialization question is raised from time to time. In some places, putting your child in a public school is not far from sending your child to prison to learn social skills.

Schools are not the only places to learn social skills, and in many cases, they are teaching social skills and values that go counter to what the parents want to teach their children.

I think you have the wrong impression if you think home schooled kids never venture out, never go other places, etc.

They often have parents who really do care about them, and take the time to ensure that their values are passed along to their children.

Until parents are given full school choice with vouchers, for some of them, home-schooling is the only viable option to ensure their values are the ones their children are taught.

How do you guys feel about the social
interaction skills of a homeschooled child? Not trying to be mean or judgemental, but the adolescents I've met that were homeschooled seemed a little 'odd' to me, and I can't help but feel that they're not getting any real-world experience by not going to school. I would imagine the first time someone bullies them or treats them badly / unfairly, they have no idea how to react or what to do. I don't see the advantage to home-schooling beyond keeping a kid completely sheltered from what goes on outside your own 4 walls. Is that really a good idea?

If you want your children to learn adult social skills, is putting them in the midst of thirty other socially inept children of exactly the same age a good idea?

A possibly false assumption seems to be held so far in this topic that all parents are intelligent enough to give their children a proper education. What percentage of American parents know enough about things like calculus, biology,physics,chemistry, etc. (not even mentioning English) to teach anybody with any level of competence?

Amd while I think martial arts training is great for kids--if they're interested in it--there are far too many alleged "schools", "classes" and "courses" ( I won't use the word "dojo")that are run by idiots these days.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
If you want your children to learn adult social skills, is putting them in the midst of thirty other socially inept children of exactly the same age a good idea?

Exactly - so many good kids go off the rails from peer pressure.

My 4 kids are homebirthed and homeshcooled.....I don't really fit into society and have poor socials skills,I guess my kids will too.I live in a country where it's acceptable to live like this....the Government even pays us to homeschool.It's a pity that some countries don't give their citizens this freedom of choice.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think they are fine. They are respectful, well mannered, and are often a joy to be around. And yes, this makes them odd when compared to the typical teenager we see in public school.

The socialization question is raised from time to time. In some places, putting your child in a public school is not far from sending your child to prison to learn social skills.

Schools are not the only places to learn social skills, and in many cases, they are teaching social skills and values that go counter to what the parents want to teach their children.

I think you have the wrong impression if you think home schooled kids never venture out, never go other places, etc.

They often have parents who really do care about them, and take the time to ensure that their values are passed along to their children.

Until parents are given full school choice with vouchers, for some of them, home-schooling is the only viable option to ensure their values are the ones their children are taught.

How do you guys feel about the social
interaction skills of a homeschooled child? Not trying to be mean or judgemental, but the adolescents I've met that were homeschooled seemed a little 'odd' to me, and I can't help but feel that they're not getting any real-world experience by not going to school. I would imagine the first time someone bullies them or treats them badly / unfairly, they have no idea how to react or what to do. I don't see the advantage to home-schooling beyond keeping a kid completely sheltered from what goes on outside your own 4 walls. Is that really a good idea?

well said. my kids are home schooled, and in my obviously biased view, they are fine. from personal experience, I find public schools to be a hinderance to development: either you are alone, alienated, or pidgion-holed into a group. do I want my kids influenced by goths, jocks, stoners, or any of the other typical groups in school? is that the social interaction that home school opponents find so valuable? they can keep it.
here in PA, we have (for now) great cyber schools, they go on field trips w/ other kids from other parts of the state, my son interacts w/ his teacher more than regular school, at 8 yrs old he is able to have intellegent conversations w/ adults, and he's even taking french! in 2nd grade!
I'm very glad that we have the opportunity to provide this type of education for our children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back