Cable or satellite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither. I have OTA digital TV (large antenna in attic), Netflix/amazon, and piles of free channels on my Roku3.

I have more TV than I have time to ever watch.

Antenna For television, was using FIOS for Internet, may go back to DSL, (cost), and Magic Jack for phone.

Magic Jack is around $60 to start, and $35 a year.
Plugs into your router, give it a static IP address...
I use two heat sinks, thermal paste, and two zip ties to keep the Magic Jack box cool...

I have a lifetime warranty OTA antenna in my attic wired for my entire home. I used the existing cable wiring to tap into.
I have netflix 7.99/month for my daughter.
right now, I'm using hulu plus free two month trial. my wife just used her free two month trial.
I get redbox free monday text codes to my phone that I hardly use.
I have access to the awesome nashville library with new releases, free checkout.

Unlimited streaming options online through amazon, google, apple, etc.

There is just way too much entertainment out there on the cheap.

All of you that have gotten rid of cable and satellite are you able to watch live football and baseball games? Because that's the main reason for television for me. And not just local pro games but all the college football that is on.

Originally Posted By: Chuckinator
All of you that have gotten rid of cable and satellite are you able to watch live football and baseball games? Because that's the main reason for television for me. And not just local pro games but all the college football that is on.

Theres always been enough OTA to keep me happy. You can also get the MLB games on roku for a fee as well. So you can watch out of market MLB games. NFL is still in the dark ages on that.

I have Direct TV with the new Genie "box" (faster processor and RF remote)

I've got to admit this setup "ROCKS"!!! It's clear, sharp, fast, easy to use and it's very stable during storms (new oval dish)

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The Rockford Files

Excellent show. My dad bought my brother and I the first few packs on DVD. 1-2 then 3-4 IIRC. I cant remember how many times I have re watched them.

Just finished the first season ... have yet to see any J turns ...

I use a 4G for my internet, little antenna from Walmart for free TV. It works. I had a big Radio Shack antenna but right now i don't have room.

I don't get all the channels with the little antenna, but plenty of football and the news.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Neither. I cut the cord years ago. I have internet which I have voip phone service running on. There is not a show,movie,game that I can't get.

You can get every NFL game every week?

I have DitecTV, but mainly so I could get the NFL ticket...if I could go another route and be able to get every NFL game each week, and all my programming (or at least what I have now) being available in HD I would...

^ DirecTV knows this. About ten years ago one could get Sunday Ticket on C-band satellite also, with better signal quality, but DirecTV moved in and got exclusive rights.

They do at least throw adequate bandwidth (lack of compression) at games, knowing where their bread is buttered.

Love my DirecTV. Most of what I watch is in HD and at less than $3 a day for 2 HD TV's with DVR's, I feel it's an entertainment bargain. In a storm it fixes itself in a matter of minutes without having to call the cable guy, who can't be here until next Tuesday between noon and 5 PM. I did call they're customer service right after subscribing to reboot my DVR and was surprised the person was in Co, IIRC.... and spoke fluent English. Just another reason to subscribe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ DirecTV knows this. About ten years ago one could get Sunday Ticket on C-band satellite also, with better signal quality, but DirecTV moved in and got exclusive rights.

They do at least throw adequate bandwidth (lack of compression) at games, knowing where their bread is buttered.

I had heard a couple years ago that DirecTVs contract with the NFL was going to expire, and then the Ticket would be available for all the service providers...I haven't heard anything since...I really wish this would happen as it would drive the price of the Ticket down...one company having exclusive rights to something as popular as the NFL Ticket is never a good thing when it comes to pricing...

Yes, I use wiziwig:

http://www.wiziwig.tv/index.php?part=sports

Nothing beats watching whatever event you want for free.

I also installed AceStream video player onto my computer to take advantage of the higher speed streaming available for some of the sporting events.

BC.

I've tried to watch some games on ESPN3. Didn't work for me. I'll continue paying to watch them on a 56 inch flatscreen.

Originally Posted By: grampi

I had heard a couple years ago that DirecTVs contract with the NFL was going to expire, and then the Ticket would be available for all the service providers...I haven't heard anything since...I really wish this would happen as it would drive the price of the Ticket down...one company having exclusive rights to something as popular as the NFL Ticket is never a good thing when it comes to pricing...

Sorry to say they renewed the contract for 8 more years. Averages out to 1.5billion a year. Its a lose leader to them to get people to pay for satellite.

My bill went up this month to $145 and change from $123 something.

Any input and experience would help. Thank you

One hundred and forty five dollars each month? One hundred and twenty three dollars each month? Just to sit around and watch the idiot box?

If you really want input-get rid of the TV and do something productive with all the extra time and money you save. After a while you'll be amazed at how refreshing it is not to be tied to a television. And as all that money you were shelling out begins to accrue in your bank account, you'll realize how foolish those who dole out the exorbitant monthly dues just to pretend to be entertained are, and how refreshing it is not to be one of the TV watching masses.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: grampi

Sorry to say they renewed the contract for 8 more years. Averages out to 1.5billion a year. Its a lose leader to them to get people to pay for satellite.

I can't believe the NFL can't realize how much money they're losing out on by allowing one provider to have a monopoly on the Ticket. Do they actually think that people who have Dish Network, Comcast, etc, wouldn't purchase the Ticket if these providers were allowed to offer it? They're currently tapping into a only fraction of the market they could have if they opened it up...not only that, but this would also create competition between the providers, meaning subscribers would enjoy lower rates, all the providers would make more money, and the NFL would make more money...it's a win win for everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back