Bypass in filter and block……?

My daughters 2002 Avalanche with 5.3L has a bypass in the block and the ACD filters (PF46/PF61) don’t have one but the Microgard Select which I prefer (51522) does have one.

Is doubling up a bad thing…?

My daughters 2002 Avalanche with 5.3L has a bypass in the block and the ACD filters (PF46/PF61) don’t have one but the Microgard Select which I prefer (51522) does have one.

No, not a bad thing.

The bypass valve in the block will probably open before the bypass valve in the filter. Seems most bypass valves in the block are not set very high. Any service manual info, etc that says what the built-in bypass valve is set to?

How common is it for the engine to have its own bypass valve? I haven’t had any auto engines apart but I’ve had a few inline four motorcycle engines apart and they all had a pressure bypass built into the oiling system.

The bypass valve in the block will probably open before the bypass valve in the filter. Seems most bypass valves in the block are not set very high. Any service manual info, etc that says what the built-in bypass valve is set to?

For a SBC, 15 - 18psi

Cant really find anything concrete for a LS block...

How common is it for the engine to have its own bypass valve? I haven’t had any auto engines apart but I’ve had a few inline four motorcycle engines apart and they all had a pressure bypass built into the oiling system.
If you say my 2007 F350 6.0L & 2008 Volvo 3.2L is "Common" then I'd say so. They both have built in bypass.

For a SBC, 15 - 18psi

Cant really find anything concrete for a LS block...
According to someone on the Z06 boards I participated in, he measured the filter bypass valve in an LS6 and it started cracking open at 11-12 PSI.

From that article, it says:
"In the case of the small or big block Chevys, the designers built in a simple bypass valve with a small
spring behind it that is rated to open at roughly 17-18 pounds of force."

They say pounds of force, not PSI. Two different things, and you would have to know the acting area of the bypass valve to determine what PSI it opened at.

It’s fairly common. At least in older engines. In a previous life (80’s-1999) I owned an automotive machine shop and many engines we worked on had them….

According to someone on the Z06 boards I participated in, he measured the filter bypass valve in an LS6 and it started cracking open at 11-12 PSI.

From that article, it says:
"In the case of the small or big block Chevys, the designers built in a simple bypass valve with a small
spring behind it that is rated to open at roughly 17-18 pounds of force."

They say pounds of force, not PSI. Two different things, and you would have to know the acting area of the bypass valve to determine what PSI it opened at.

Yeah, I'm a little confused as he said 17-18 but links to Summit a couple of times for the valve itself and a comment there says the same as your Z06 finding...

1703639029584.jpg

Yeah, I'm a little confused as he said 17-18 but links to Summit a couple of times for the valve itself and a comment there says the same as your Z06 finding...

View attachment 194985
He was saying it took 17lbs of pushing force which unless the surface area acting apon the valve is 1” it will different than the hydraulic pressure.

He was saying it took 17lbs of pushing force which unless the surface area acting apon the valve is 1” it will different than the hydraulic pressure.
I noticed a little bit farther down in that article they say 17-18 PSI ... so not sure which statement is accurate.

I do know the guy who determined it on the LS6 measured both the force and the acting area of the valve, then calculated 11-12 PSI opening pressure.

No, in fact, redundancy could be a good thing if it's at all possible that the internal engine bypass could fail to open. You'll want the pressure rating of the bypass valve in the oil filter to be at least as high as the one in the engine.

I have measured old gm engines from the 1980s and 90s they're around as low as 3psid to 7psid and the 7 is me being optimistic.
They're supposed to be like 10, 11, 12psid. Oh and they all probably leak at least a little.

Very common on GM applications, so quite common, given GM's market share. Ford and Chrysler left them in the filter.

Great information. I’ll start using the MSL51522…..Great filters for the jingle….

As long as the filter bypass pressure setting is equal to or greater than the bypass pressure setting in the block I can’t see a problem with it.

Dirty oil is better than no oil

Back