butt end electrical connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would be better doing wiring under a trailer that will see water/dirt/salt. Insulated butt connector sealed with liquid tape or adhesive lined & heatshrink butt connector?

Of those I'd call the former better and the latter easier. Both should be just fine. That said, save some of your attention to detail for more important areas such as use of loom/wrap and grommets and tieing things up out of the way where they can't be snagged.

While unsealed connections are pretty common and can eat several feet of wire before they show their faces, you've already decided to address that problem. Be sure that you don't have any rub throughs as these are just as bad.

I'd go with the heat shrink. Sometimes you can nick butt connectors on the outside insulation part if your crimper slips slightly. That would let problems in. The heat shrink should keep them out.

If it were me and I had to use a butt I'd slip heat shrink over the whole shebang, put liquid electrical tape in the ends, let it cure, then apply heat to make the shrink tighten around it all.

I think he means the self-adhering butt connectors, which can be just as easily damaged, though I'll admit I don't have much experience with them, and the few that I used may have been junk - can't even remember the manufacturer. I'm with yonyon on this, and think option 1 is best. Nothing will last forever when it's exposed to salt (or brackish) water often, but the liquid e-tape should work well to seal up an insulated butt connector, even if crimping does open up some of the insulation.

From a novice, I've in the past used insulated butts with dielectric grease, then heat shrunk and electrical-taped the heck out of it to ensure a good seal and to protect the heat shrink.

I like to buy the bare crimp terminals and then use high grade shrink over them. My local fastener place carries all those goodies. I like using them over the regular crimp/shrink ones because you still run the risk puncturing the shrink when make the crimp. I know some have the goop inside to seal that, but I rather not take the chance.

Of course I could always use the adhesive lined heatshrink connector with liquid tape also.

One other thing I am looking at is Ancor "double crimp" butt connectors. The metal section that is crimped is longer. I have the Ancor ratchet double crimper.

Get the connectors from Fastenal. They're more expensive than Wal-Mart/Lowes/HD connectors, and for good reason. They're noticeably better made, and likely made here in the States to boot.

I went with wrapping 3M Super 88 electrical tape over heat-shrink-covered adhesive-lined connectors when building a headlight harness. I haven't noticed any issues to date.

Wired up my Harbor Freight trailer 2 years ago using 3M heat shrink butt connectors (which are also filled with hot melt glue). No electrical problems since then - lights are always on and bright. IME there's no need to put heat shrink tubing over them if the glue inside melts and flows well.

I solder the things. In the marine industry, after many years of back and forth, the conclusion is crimp AND solder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I solder the things. In the marine industry, after many years of back and forth, the conclusion is crimp AND solder.

I like solder too, just don't overheat the joint or the solder will wick up the wire and make it like solid core wire and fracture.

My preference is to use bare butt connectors, crimped, then soldered, and heatshrinked (full cylindrical tubing, not the wraparound kind).
This is the same basic procedure that GM recommended for wiring repairs in their 80s service manuals. I don't know if they've changed since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back