Bulk Dog Food Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

We just adopted 2 German Shepherds puppies from county shelter and the litter had a total of 5. We would have taken all of them if we had the space to care for them, but 2 was the limit. In honor of the puppies and to help the shelter we donated 625 pounds of dog food--basically a 3 month supply.

I have been pondering on this a bit and want to continue doing this on a regular basis, but need a better supplier (i.e bulk pricing). Does anyone know of a wholesale source for dog food in large quantities?

Thanks in advance...

Do you have a Farmers Co-op near? I'm a member of Tennessee farmer's co=op and can buy bulk feed (including dog feed) direct from the mill (LaVergne Tn) at truly reduced prices for bulk orders. And it still comes in 50 lb bags. No membership fees here in Tn.

First of all, God Bless! Great going, im a huge huge animal lover, and that plan is extremely generous of you and your family.

As for bulk food, Costco has good prices on bulk food. A feed store may be cheaper, i havent compared since I buy 50 lbs at a time, not 625 lbs haha.

Keep it up!

Maybe the shelter has a hook up, perhaps someone "donates" near-date food for pennies on the dollar?

Ask them if they like cash?

Some dogs need the same food every day or they get diharrea.

We prefer to make cash donations to the local ARL. It gives them the ability to move the funds where they best see fit and can do the most good. They also have contracts with food suppliers and can get a better price than I could as a retail customer. They also know which foods they prefer to use and which to avoid.

I buy Purina One at Sams and Kirkland dog food at Costco (it's made by Diamond, a decent dog food company) for my German Shepard. Those are the 2 best deals I've found for a middle of the road dog food.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Maybe the shelter has a hook up, perhaps someone "donates" near-date food for pennies on the dollar? Ask them if they like cash? Some dogs need the same food every day or they get diharrea.

I donated Pedigree Adult and Kirkland Puppy food (purchased both at Costco; it was about $300). The shelter stated that it was 1000x better than what the dogs normally eat, so (at least for this particular shelter) the animals are fed "whatever is available". I do know what you mean about animals eating different foods and becoming ill. I would donate cash, but with the overhead associated with most (perhaps all) shelters/government facilities/charitable organizatons, I wanted 100% of my donation to go to the dogs.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We prefer to make cash donations to the local ARL. It gives them the ability to move the funds where they best see fit and can do the most good. They also have contracts with food suppliers and can get a better price than I could as a retail customer. They also know which foods they prefer to use and which to avoid.

I would donate cash, but I do not want any of it lost in "overhead"; I wanted 100% to go to the animals.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I buy Purina One at Sams and Kirkland dog food at Costco (it's made by Diamond, a decent dog food company) for my German Shepard. Those are the 2 best deals I've found for a middle of the road dog food.

I bought Pedigree and Kirkland at Costco
smile.gif

I looked around and bit more and could have saved a little at Wal-Mart by purchasing Ol' Roy, but was not that much of a savings. I was thrilled that 625 pounds will last about 3 months. It is our hope this will buy enough time for someone to adopt some of them...

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
First of all, God Bless! Great going, im a huge huge animal lover, and that plan is extremely generous of you and your family.

As for bulk food, Costco has good prices on bulk food. A feed store may be cheaper, i havent compared since I buy 50 lbs at a time, not 625 lbs haha.

Keep it up!

Many thanks--just trying to do our part! I bought it at Costco and it was a pretty good deal at about $0.48 per pound. Unless I find something substantially cheaper (but same quality) I will probably stay with Costco as it is not far from the shelter. I may approach the manager at Costco and see if there are any discounts available considering where the food is going.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Sams Club is the best deal I have found. Gee I would take a German Shepard puppy, but Molly my mastiff puppy is kind of bossy.

Thanks; I will check Sam's; this was bought at Costco, but there is a Sam's just as close to the shelter.

I have 2 abandoned dogs (1 black lab and a mixed breed that weighs 45 lbs.) and I buy Pedigree in the 48 -54 lb. bags for $25.00 at Tractor Supply and if you watch they put it on sale sometimes. I make a yearly donation to a local rescue facility. My vet recommended them because it is well run and very clean. It is staffed by volunteers and the owners are both retired.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
I have 2 abandoned dogs (1 black lab and a mixed breed that weighs 45 lbs.) and I buy Pedigree in the 48 -54 lb. bags for $25.00 at Tractor Supply and if you watch they put it on sale sometimes. I make a yearly donation to a local rescue facility. My vet recommended them because it is well run and very clean. It is staffed by volunteers and the owners are both retired.

I think this is spot on with Costco's prices (good to see I am not too far off from other pricing).

Here are the two that we adopted (named by our two youngest sons):

Bella:

Koda:

Over a quarter ton of food!
shocked.gif

I'm sure the shelter was quite pleased.
grin.gif

Good job!

P.S. I always liked watching a dog eat for some reason.
They seem to enjoy it so much and to me, it's a happy sound.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Oh, so cute and innocent. Just wait a year...
grin2.gif

LOL - yes; they will have tails that can clear an entire coffee table with one swipe.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Over a quarter ton of food!
shocked.gif

I'm sure the shelter was quite pleased.
grin.gif

Good job!

P.S. I always liked watching a dog eat for some reason.
They seem to enjoy it so much and to me, it's a happy sound.

Many thanks - they were thrilled to get it, their website stated "critically low" on food and it was breaking our hearts to know that our puppies siblings and all of the other dogs may go hungry.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I would donate cash, but I do not want any of it lost in "overhead"; I wanted 100% to go to the animals.

We're close friends with the director of the local ARL and his wife. 100% of the cash donations go directly to animal welfare in one form or another. Funds for employee pay, etc come from the adoption fees or special project fundraisers.

Keeping the heat on in the winter and the AC on in the summer is considered part of the animal welfare, as are expenses such as paying the water bill (they need to drink and be bathed). That's why I prefer monetary donations-the ARL can channel them where it does the animals the most good and they don't end up with a glut of dog food and a shortage of cat food.

It wouldn't be legal or ethical for them to move donation funds into accounts not directly associated with animal welfare if the donation is made for animal welfare. They could possibly have their 503(c)(3) status revoked, or worse.

I agree with Pop_Rivit there is always a need for food and shelter for the little ones that are abandoned and/or abused. They can not get a job or even ask food and shelter but what they give to anyone that will accept them is love and devotion. I hope that anyone that has people on their gift list that is hard to buy for will consider giving a donation in their name to a local shelter for animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back