Bubbles on dipstick after oil change...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
tough crowd, lol.

May i ask, what is your logic behind 5W50 in that vehicle?

For example on my sable it is speced for 5W20, but i know for a fact that 10W40 and 10W30 as well as 5W30 will work 100% in it, as that is what the engine was able to use way back in 1986, and the oil requirements are the same, 4.5 Q of oil and a FL400S filter, as well as the fact that the vehicle until the 2001 model year took 5W30 as the perfered oil, with 10W30 being an alternative that was 100% usable unless it got too cold. As such i know my 3.0 OHV V6 will run fine on most oil, i plan to switch back to 5W30 after this round of 5W20, a bit of startup rattle is occuring.

I explained earlier that I got it on clearance, and Syntec generally is a good oil. I'm not a tribologist so to speak, and in fact I'm actually fairly new to anything automotive. I've learned a lot on here (which could be scary) but I've also had my own experiences with things on my vehicle(s).

My logic is not anything in particular, just that 5w30 and 5w50 doesn't seem too far apart. I suppose I didn't consider that it would be that much thicker, but regardless I talked to somebody IRL about it and he said to go ahead and drain it if I wasn't taking it on the strip. I took his advice and now I have some 5w30 Synpower in there. I saved the Castrol and poured it into the SynPower bottles for top up oil from time to time.

We notice the difference and things seem to be better overall. I don't think my vehicle would have exploded on the highway and pooped out an engine if I had kept it in though. I think there should definitely be a balance between "anything goes" and "the sky is falling", and some folk on here have that quality which is nice.

All it took was a 10 second bit of IRL advice and I was good. You can't always trust everything on forums! That's why I waited.

Thanks anyhow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back