Brake hose rubs on wheel - '12 Ram 1500

D60

I just installed these Sunsong hoses on the rear of a '12 Ram 1500 4wd

They come with replacement hardline because the factory doesn't provide a threaded fitting at the hose/hardline junction.

I bled with wheels removed on my lift and then lowered it to slap the wheels on. I never thought to check clearances afterward, but this should obviously become SOP. On steering wheels I often do think to verify this.

Anyway, this happened on right. Can anyone give me a sanity check on the silver block at banjo bolt? It is supposed to exit to the rear of vehicle and angle up slightly, yes?
20240430_113154.jpg
20240430_113200.jpg

You can also see there's a wire frame hanger so positioning doesn't have a great deal of flexibility. I could probably bend the wire hanger and hardline a bit.

Here's left for reference.
20240430_113321.jpg

I'm not sure if the aftermarket hose is too long or I screwed up..... I'm gonna try a Brakebest hose which I think might be Raybestos rather than Sunsong

I put braided stainless hoses on my Chevy truck and the right rear got close to the wheel. I zip-tied it out of the way. Probably not a good solution for a paying customer though.

It looks like an adjustment is needed by loosening the fitting where it meets the hard line as oldhp said. Did you check the length to the old hose?

Loosen the top fitting and twist the hose to look like the other side.
^^^^ this! when you tightened the hose end @D60 you let the hose twist and this is causing the issue. Do your best to hold the hose from twisting while tightening. A pair of vise grips or pliers carefully placed on the crimp might help.

Just my $0.02

It looks like an adjustment is needed by loosening the fitting where it meets the hard line as oldhp said. Did you check the length to the old hose?
I've already scrapped the old hose. The aftermarket seems to treat both as the same length (but they still have to be R&L specific).

I'll try adjusting when installing the Brakebest. This one wore through, fortunately on a quiet rural road. I wish I would have thought to just peer around the wheel once installed.

Also not that anyone asked but I failed to mention wheels are OEM Ram 20's, so no changes to BS or offset or diameter here.

Well thanks to all who replied. The Brakebest hose was actually longer than the Sunsong, but I installed it and was careful to, well....actually pay attention.
20240501_145618.jpg

The Brakebest came with copper washers .047" thick which I elected to use. I prefer .060". Sometimes Sunsong supplies .030" which I won't use.

I only bled that corner and pedal feels great. Got lucky.

This was for my non-profit so they're not concerned-- plus I work for free so we see you LITERALLY get what you pay for. A paying customer probably would have (understandably) stopped using me.

Two morales here: 1) don't eat paint chips and 2) verify new hose placement with wheels on

No bueno:
20240501_150227.jpg

Back