Brake Bleeder Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your like me just take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. If i have to pay 100.00 every two to three years thats not a bad deal if you ask me.

I am guessing that the factory instructions for a brake job for your expedition are similar to the ones for my windstar.....a disapointment when I read them.
They don't call for the fluid to be bled....they have the technician remove some fluid from the master cylinder and push the caliper in.....forcing the fluid up into the master cylinder.
I am sure that they do this to save time ($$$), however.....fluid goes "bad" at the wheel.
So....bleeding the fluid at each wheel at LEAST every 2 years is a good practice.
If you have had your work done at a shop that you trust....you could request the fluid be bled at each wheel when you have a brake job done.
If you have been doing your own brake jobs....and doing this....you are in better shape than many.

When you bleed the fluid at each wheel.....do so until it comes out clear.
Make sure to NOT run the master cylinder dry.

If one uses the vaccum method at each wheel.....one needs to REMOVE the cap from the master cylinder FIRST....so that you do not put a vaccum to the system.

**** UPDATE ****

Today, I received my Motive Products power bleeder and went straight to the shop and bled the brakes on our 1998 Expedition. As I stated in an earlier post, I always maintain our vehicles well, but I had never thought about changing the brake fluid.

Well, I must say, using the power bleeder was a pleasure! It was quick, clean and exceptionally easy. I will definitely be adding this preventive maintenance item to my list of "things to do".

Thanks for all of the input! I do believe I got the best product for the job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back