Bought a SOCOM II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on topic, its T-minus 8 days until I get it. Looking at accessories for it now. I have been really eying a couple Trijicon sights, I don't want to go cheap on optics.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Back on topic, its T-minus 8 days until I get it. Looking at accessories for it now. I have been really eying a couple Trijicon sights, I don't want to go cheap on optics.

What kind of shooting are you going to be doing with this rifle? Quick aquisition at shorter distances (
Anything with magnification will be more challenging due to the forward mounting position. If you want magnification, you'll probably have to get a mount that attaches in place of your stripper clip guide so that you can position the scope further back to acheive the correct eye relief.

Trijicon is a good choice as you need something that can hold up to the recoil. My friend tried a cheap red dot optic on his and it simply would not hold zero.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: hatt
You can use most .308 ammo in M1As.

Fulton Armory, who builds M14 type rifles also recommends checking the headspace before doing so in any rifles chambered NATO. Nobody wants a kaboom.

This is with the knowledge that commercial .308Win ammo may have thinner brass in the base of the cartridge cases and NATO chambers are a bit more "generous" in headspace length.

There is NO Significant pressure differences between 7.62NATO and .308Win ammo. If there is...no one has shown data to document it to date. The big 'debate' on this issue is between different pressure measurement systems that are not equal or comparable. It is "paper research" and horribly flawed. Do you see a warning on ammo boxes? Gun and ammo makers that do have pressure barrels have been VERY Silent on this debate.

I know that ammo makers sometimes do not put warnings on ammo they should. One would assume they should in certain cases. For instance with 8mm Mauser since there are .318 and .323 bore guns out there. Of couse I have heard of many of the makers using something in the .320 range for a bullet and loading them anemically just incase someone tries to shoot and old Gewehr 88 or early Mauser 98.

The range I go to is probably no more than 300 metres long at the longest distance. Most of the shooting is in the 50-150 metre range.

This is with the knowledge that commercial .308Win ammo may have thinner brass in the base of the cartridge cases and NATO chambers are a bit more "generous" in headspace length.

There is NO Significant pressure differences between 7.62NATO and .308Win ammo. If there is...no one has shown data to document it to date. The big 'debate' on this issue is between different pressure measurement systems that are not equal or comparable. It is "paper research" and horribly flawed. Do you see a warning on ammo boxes? Gun and ammo makers that do have pressure barrels have been VERY Silent on this debate.

I agree. I've used each in the other without issue.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

I agree. I've used each in the other without issue.

Me too. I have used 7.62 and .308 win interchangeably with no bad results, same goes for .223 rem and 5.56. I find that the NATO stuff is a bit more "blasty", meaning it has a larger flash and a tiny bit more recoil but that is it. The differences are only very minor and not enough to cause a kaboom.

It is really no different than firing +P+ pistol ammunition of a given caliber. So long as you are firing it in a modern, high quality firearm that is in good working condition, you will be fine.

I read somewhere that Springfield had to rework the M1 gas system in the SOCOM due to the relation of the gas port in the shortened barrel.

Any chance that's why they recommend a specific load?

The biggest risk with using commercial .308 ammo is that you might get a slam fire, doubling, or even worse an out of battery discharge.

In commercial .308 ammo, the primers are often more sensitive than the military spec 7.62x51 primers. Like many military firearms, the M1A has a free floating firing pin which will dent a primer(slightly)during normal chambering. Military spec primers (CCI 34 for example) are less sensitive and are designed to safely work in rifles like this.

Edit: Anyone remember the 7.62x51 NDM-86 rifles that were imported? People were using commercial .308 ammo and destroying their rifles. The rifles were recalled (actually just the bolts) so that the bolts could be modified with a firing pin spring to reduce the amount of force on the primer during chambering of the round. The unmodified bolts worked perfectly fine with military surplus ammo.

Last edited:
Got it yesterday. Showed up about a half hour too early, they do the 10 day thing down to the minute in CA, so I ended up getting some add-ons for it. Got a GG&G folding bi-pod, Magpul MS3 Sling and mount, and some Magpul rail covers. I had the Magpul AFG on my AR, and transferred it over for the pics.

61EB123F-9B57-4571-A911-DBD450101295-2795-0000037CA9AC0420.jpg

19AE6253-8690-4B8C-861A-A9349618C5D0-2795-0000037CBDA37804.jpg

Still need to work on exactly where I want everything, but so far so good.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Now you need to go to the range and see how it shoots!

I know, everyone is taking dibs on who get the first shot with it. They all get to wait until fire season is over though.

I know, everyone is taking dibs on who get the first shot with it. They all get to wait until fire season is over though.

THAT is a beautiful gun. Can't you just take it to the range?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

THAT is a beautiful gun. Can't you just take it to the range?

Any of the ranges here that would make shooting that thing worth it are closed due to fire season. The range is so far out of the way that people usually go in groups and make a party out of it.

The last time I was at the range we got a free airshow from Cal Fire after a 20 acre fire started from a ricochet.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Wow. Tinder dry. Somebody was shooting steel ammo.

Man the wait is going to kill you!

Tell me about it. This means that I can stockpile some 7.62x51 for the zombie invasion.

Good rifle! I have an older Scout. Good time to do some dry fire practice.

Some lots of surplus German 7.62 ball ammo have been coming in. They're in green battle packs. Pretty good stuff. Brass case, non-corrosive but Berdan primed (non-reloadable). Good shooting stuff and I can do about 1 1/2 inch groups @100 yds. Clean shooting and reliable so far. I bought two packs, shot my way thru one then went back for more. Gone! Hoping more will come in soon.

There is still some South African tan colored battle packs floating around too. That was really good stuff but getting harder to find. It was also non-corrosive, Berdan primed stuff.

Some Malaysian stuff also came in but I would recommend against it. The batch that I shot were all inconsistent. Some rounds seemed hotter and some were softer. Pretty wild groups with it too.

Stock up on the GI spec 20 round mags. I have a 5 round mag which fits flush with the stock but otherwise all 20 rounders. Never tried the 10. Tried a 25 rounder but it kept jamming due to rounds sticking.

Originally Posted By: RW1
Stock up on the GI spec 20 round mags. I have a 5 round mag which fits flush with the stock but otherwise all 20 rounders. Never tried the 10. Tried a 25 rounder but it kept jamming due to rounds sticking.

I am stuck with 10 due to the laws here in CA. I think I found some places selling the GI issue ammo in bulk, gonna break it in on that. At the store I bought the gun from, the owner and 2 employees all have SOCOMs and say they run whatever rounds they want through it and it spits them out all the same. However I don't work at a gun store, so I don't have access to replacement parts like they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back