Bought a 'new' 2021 Ford Escape

Well after 19 years of driving my 2002 Ford Ranger,
It ended its life with a head-on collision. / Better the truck than me, (other driver at fault).
I enjoyed doing PM and small-medium repairs on it.

I ended up buying a 2021 Ford Escape FWD with the 1.5L Ecoboost engine.
It's nice and my first SUV.

I spent today going over the maintenance schedule.
I think with this vehicle, my goal will be to maintain for reliability (not longevity).

1) I will need to buy a Spare Tire, / I'm not keen on the compressor & sealant to repair a flat.
2) I don't see an outlet for my Code Scanner

Vehicles have changed alot in 19 years.
There nicer, but more cheaply made.

Have a great Weekend.

How are you going to maintain it for reliability as opposed to longevity?

How are you going to maintain it for reliability as opposed to longevity?
I guess what I mean is, I don't expect to be keeping it for 19 years.
But it will be well maintained to my skill level.
In the beginning, it will be more cleaning and polishing.
And of coarse, changing the fluids as required.

Vehicles have changed alot in 19 years.
There nicer, but more cheaply made
That's not always the case. Certainly you could have purchased a new Ranger and found that it has rather robust components and a strong frame. In fact, the transmission is a 10 speed 10R80 that is much the same as the F150 unit, capable of handling 590 foot pounds torque.

The Escape is an SUV, built like, and designed to ride and handle like a car. I rent them all the time, like 'em. I think they drive well and I find them comfortable. I don't like the new Ranger all that much. I find the engine noisy and the F150 to be cost-competitive.

Unfortunately unlike your classic old Ranger P/U the new Escape is built to be a disposable car, it will be pretty reliable for about a decade and then be riddled with costly failures and repairs. Most vehicles made today are NOT made to be "durable" but only reliable for a certain period of time before they become to costly to repair. I really despise modern vehicles because of that.

Back