Bosch appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, got the washer setup last night.

It actually gets the dog hair off the clothing! YAY! This was something the Maytag it replaced failed miserably at.

It is almost dead silent. Kind of eerie..... Uses almost no water, and does an excellent job. Quite happy with it so far. But yes, it has only been a day. I've put four loads through it.

Oh, and it was made in the USA!
thumbsup2.gif

I have a Bosch dishwasher. It functions adequately compared to other products I've had over the years; no better, no worse. It's been reliable, but I find its cleaning ability just okay; pre-rinsing is still required and premium detergent & rinse agent is a must (otherwise, any clear glass or plastic has to be rewashed).

Thus...

Do I find the reliability/performance vs. price premium worth it? Not especially.

Would I go out of my way to buy another Bosch product? No.

Would I eschew Bosch products based upon this purchase? No.

This said, I can't speak to the quality of Bosch washing machines. However, my loan experience w/a Bosch appliance hasn't swayed me to now pledge allegiance to all things German. I've had enough German items over the years...from cars to electronics to trinkets to a house...and the stereotype of superior quality has lost it's luster w/me. Maybe in the old days things were better, but then what wasn't, right?

[Note: The above does not apply to Premium Plus filters and my wife. They are great Teutonic things and I would not substitute any other "products" for them.]

Some friends have a Bosch dishwasher. For a family of 7 + party use, it's too small inside. The rack(s) don't seem to fit American pots, pans and cookie sheets. Like it was just made for dishes, cups, saucers, etc only. They complain it takes 1-1/2 hours on normal cycle, so they only use the quick cycle now. They also pre-wash everything before they load it (I thought that's what the machine is for??). Not sure if it's habit or a consequence of phosphorus-free detergents.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Read Steve Jobs bio and he gushed like a school girl over his Miele German washer/dryer.

Comparing a Bosch appliance to a Miele is like comparing a VW to a Mercedes. Both are German design, but that's where the comparison ends. A typical Miele wall oven starts around $3000 and competes with Viking and Wolf. A Miele dishwasher usually goes for over $2000. Good stuff.

However, Bosch generally makes good products at a lower price point. Since Whirlpool bought KA, Bosch is our first choice where a mid-priced ($750-$1000) dishwasher is needed. Very quiet. But if I could find a Hobart-made KA dishwasher, I'd be all over it. Built like a tank.

Same with the old Speed Queen and Maytag washers. IME, Maytag took a quality hit after Whirlpool acquired them. They're now upscale Whirlpools, which is not bad. But they're not durable like the old Maytags.

With the exception of a couple appliance brands, they are made all over the place anymore, so brand name is no indication of assembly or design location. Our Whirlpool duet washer is an early German-made model and works great. Its companion duet dryer is US-made, and works great, too.

Just avoid the LGs and Samsungs. They're fine until they break. Major PITA to service.

And we're never getting rid of our 1964 GM-made Frigidaire reefer, which still keeps the beer ice cold after almost 50 years. A totally bulletproof design if ever there was one.

Agree with the VW to Mercedes comparison in regards to the Bosch to Miele Comparison.

We have a Miele Dishwasher in our home (was here when we bought it). New now would run over $2500 easy. Best dishwasher we've ever used, hands down. If we ever sell this place, I may very well take it with me. Holds more dishes and actually gets them clean without prewashing every time. The cycle time is longer, but based on performance it doesn't matter. Dead quiet too - the most noise you hear is when water runs down the drain.

Bosch are decent appliances, but the are a mid-level unit, not premium. Good for what they are though...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Agree with the VW to Mercedes comparison in regards to the Bosch to Miele Comparison.

We have a Miele Dishwasher in our home (was here when we bought it). New now would run over $2500 easy. Best dishwasher we've ever used, hands down. If we ever sell this place, I may very well take it with me. Holds more dishes and actually gets them clean without prewashing every time. The cycle time is longer, but based on performance it doesn't matter. Dead quiet too - the most noise you hear is when water runs down the drain.

Bosch are decent appliances, but the are a mid-level unit, not premium. Good for what they are though...

thumbsup2.gif

In my talks with Peter, he has informed me of a store in the GTA that sells Miele, your comparison, and the one made above are about on-par with what he has stated. He has a few Miele appliances and a number of Bosch ones. In his words, Miele is "the best".

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
The "best" and boy, are they priced that way! That is the major downside...

We almost bought a pair of Miele wall ovens a couple years back.

But we just didn't cook enough to justify the $7,000 price tag, so took a pass. Unless you're really going to use them to their capability, it's a status statement. We're past that.

Around here, our most used kitchen appliance is the telephone to place the takeout order or make reservations.

. . . their $2,500 coffee maker looks cool, though.

Quote:
Comparing a Bosch appliance to a Miele is like comparing a VW to a Mercedes

True enough but your not paying Mercedes prices either. I have Miele appliances in my home and speed queen washers and dryers in the apartment buildings.
Bosch did pretty good in quality and performance testing done by Stiftung Warentest, however longevity is not part of their testing.
Note they were testing German models.

My folks had a Siemens washer that ran seemingly forever, they threw it out still working when they moved.

My one client, who runs a furniture company, I was talking to her and I guess her parents have a Miele dishwasher. When I asked her if it works as well as I've heard they do, her answer was yes, that it works phenomenally well. She said she was also willing to give me her designer discount on one if I were to go that route; an extremely generous offer!

What would a Miele refrigerator / freezer cost, assuming I could find someone around here that sells them?

Originally Posted By: Win
shocked2.gif
Guess I'll put up with water in the floor a while longer!

Sounds like you need to unclog your weep hole at the bottom of the fridge. See if there is a pan at the bottom you can pull out. With a flashlight or feel, locate the weep hole (where the water may be dropping of flowing out). Then use some sort of implement like a hair clip or wire with brush, or something like it, to unclog the weep hole / weep tube, and then replace the drip pan.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Overkill look at the prices.
Course these are all 230v and would cost a fortune to ship.
If you don't like paying the premium for brand worship, IMHO you got more bang for the buck.

/www.neckermann.de/Miele%20Shop/10259708,de_DE,sc.html"}}" target="_blank">]Miele

Thanks Trav! I can get them through the designer I mentioned earlier, so I'll probably be pricing a dishwasher in the new year through her. I may go Bosch though too, I haven't decided yet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Well our kitchenaid is well over 20 years old and running, but not washing well. Assuming that the tips on the washer cleaning thread do not work, we will likely be in the market.

If it's one of the Hobart-made ones, get it fixed.

They don't make machines like that anymore. Not even a Miele is as solidly designed and built-to-last as the old KAs.

About 15-20 years ago, we had a Hobart KA that we foolishly replaced for a "quieter" more modern model with more cycles. It had never given a day's trouble, cleaned the dishes well, and weighed a ton. It is one of my few regrets and looking back I wish we had kept it . . . I'd probably still be using it today.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Well our kitchenaid is well over 20 years old and running, but not washing well. Assuming that the tips on the washer cleaning thread do not work, we will likely be in the market.

If it's one of the Hobart-made ones, get it fixed.

They don't make machines like that anymore. Not even a Miele is as solidly designed and built-to-last as the old KAs.

About 15-20 years ago, we had a Hobart KA that we foolishly replaced for a "quieter" more modern model with more cycles. It had never given a day's trouble, cleaned the dishes well, and weighed a ton. It is one of my few regrets and looking back I wish we had kept it . . . I'd probably still be using it today.

That reminds me of about 15 years ago when I worked a summer job in the food service at a local University feeding the army for a month, who were using the facility's field for training. The kitchen was full of Hobart gear and I swear some of it was older than time itself and appeared to still function like new. The dishwasher included.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That reminds me of about 15 years ago when I worked a summer job in the food service at a local University feeding the army for a month, who were using the facility's field for training. The kitchen was full of Hobart gear and I swear some of it was older than time itself and appeared to still function like new. The dishwasher included.

In their heyday, Hobart was the preeminent commercial food service appliance manufacturer. You would see their equipment in most supermarkets and commercial kitchens, and they were all designed and built to a high industrial standard - i.e. not to break. You just could not kill most Hobart commercial equipment made into the '70s. I know first-hand, as a close relative worked for a competitor during that period.

They originally brought that same "bullet-proof" philosophy to KA when they acquired them, and getting a Hobart-KA product was like getting a commercial grade appliance with decorator trim. Very different from Whirlpool, which was always a more cost-conscious manufacturer catering to the consumer market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back