Borg Warner T 12 fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BW T12 directional transmission in a loader-backhoe built by Dynahoe in 1969 . The manual says to use automatic transmission fluid type A , I have taking this to mean to mean the GM type A developed in the late 50s . The T12 presently has wall-marts super-tech equivalent for Dextron III and the torque converter dosent seam to work verry well with it . I have also found other Dynahoe owners that say their machines work better with 30% 30W motor oil although they were discussing Allison units but had the same fluid specs ? The only viscosity specs I have found were Brookfield (cP@-40C,max)64000 for GM type A , and 20000 for Dextron III. BTW I heve no knowlege of how this trans should properly perform as I have recovered it from a field where it sat for 15 years with a destroyed motor (Detroit 353) and have instaled a 350 chevy gas motor . So the question what for fluid ?

I doubt that the torque converter lock up is an issue of fluid. Keep in mind that you have an accumlator piston for the TC and if that piston is not moveing well, out of round etc......the TC will not lock up. I am going to guess that 15 years sitting in a wield it has all kinds of corroded parts internaly and that it might nee to have it's valve body rebuilt or a new TC. I would start with some PB Blaster Transmission treatment. Carquest sells it in a gallon size for professionals. Depending on the size of the transmission one of two bottles of Tras-Medic ran for a a couple days to seee if it helps or hurts. Normaly it takes 500 miles of driving for it to become clear if it is going to help or hurt.

On top of that as far as fluids go their is a Generic Transmission fluid and hydralic fluid that my Father in Law used to use he had it in 55 gallon drum. I am not sure what it is called now but we used to use it in all kinds of automotive transmissions and power steering box's as top off. Look into that.

The only time I have heard of motor oil being used in automatic transmissions was at a Military Vechile Expo. M1 was marketing Delvac-1 as a product that could be used in diesel engines and in automatic transmissions because it lacked any friction modifiers. That is the first and last time I have heard of such a thing though on a large scale insomething heavy duty!

A DexronIII or Type "F" should work. You may have to do a number of flushes and fills if it sat for a long time.

thanks john and mola , i was a little worried when i read about the visc. changes over the years . it may be more that i am not acustom to the higher stall speed more then an inproper operation . any how thanks again .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back