Boosting your backup lights?

My Scion only has a single backup light and even with an LED replacement bulb it’s still pretty dark. I’m thinking about buying some sort of waterproof LED light bar and mounting it to the bumper to make it a little easier to see when backing up my long narrow driveway.

Anyone done this? Any particular model of light strip you would recommend?

I bought something similar to the following a few years back (but only one light, not a 2 pack) and it did boost the light by about 3X during testing, but 3X was less than I wanted so never got around to installing it. IIRC it was drawing about an amp so really a 12W light not 18W as listed. It does have a driver circuit in it so wasn't just a matter of testing at 12V instead of ~14.4V from vehicle electrical system.

My limitation was that I don't want to run new wire and a relay, so had to be low power enough to just tap into one of the backup lights for power.

I may revisit the project at some point but now am thinking of using what I have as a snow blower, light upgrade, but will need to put a bridge rectifier and capacitor in a weatherproof enclosure to give it DC power from the SB's AC light circuit. I did something similar for my riding mower (removed incan bulbs to give it the current margin needed) but a bigger light pod.

Last edited:
My Scion only has a single backup light and even with an LED replacement bulb it’s still pretty dark. I’m thinking about buying some sort of waterproof LED light bar and mounting it to the bumper to make it a little easier to see when backing up my long narrow driveway.

Anyone done this? Any particular model of light strip you would recommend?
There are several brands of license plate frames that have LEDs on them, maybe try those?

Do you have a trailer hitch on your car? There are plenty of brackets that attach to the neck on the hitch and give you mount points for cube lights. Wire these up with the relay using the battery as the power source and the reverse light hot line as the trigger… you can easily add 600-8000 lumens depending on which lights you use.

Attachments

• 1668353743210.jpg
    1668353743210.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 11
If the driveway is the only problem try some cheap solar powered landscape lights. They dont need to be bright just easy to see in the dark.

There are several brands of license plate frames that have LEDs on them, maybe try those?

Do you have a trailer hitch on your car? There are plenty of brackets that attach to the neck on the hitch and give you mount points for cube lights. Wire these up with the relay using the battery as the power source and the reverse light hot line as the trigger… you can easily add 600-8000 lumens depending on which lights you use.
The license plate frame is a great idea except that it’s a hatchback and the plate is mounted to the hatch. I would have to do a lot of annoying wiring to make that work.

My trailer hitch is 1-1/4 but this gives me a great idea. I could cut a wooden insert and use it to mount a light.

If the driveway is the only problem try some cheap solar powered landscape lights. They dont need to be bright just easy to see in the dark.
It’s not the only problem, and I don’t want more obstacles to have to mow around. I feel like modding the car would be a better solution.

I'm interested in this too, my truck has dim backup lights. Hitching up at night would be easier with more light.

Is there no reverse light wiring inside the hatch? If you use just the light bar that should not draw too much?
Don’t think so, just the license plate wiring. The only reverse wiring is the single bulb mounted on the drivers side of the bumper. I found a picture online so you can see the locations of the license and the one backup bulb.

Attachments

• 48501CDC-0C4C-4C2A-9787-A9E9DD34197A.jpeg
    48501CDC-0C4C-4C2A-9787-A9E9DD34197A.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 21
Don’t think so, just the license plate wiring. The only reverse wiring is the single bulb mounted on the drivers side of the bumper. I found a picture online so you can see the locations of the license and the one backup bulb.
You should be able to use a metal coat hanger inside the rubber tube to the tailgate to fish a wire through; it’s how I do doors for speaker wire. It all depends on how deep you want to get in to panel removal.

It’s not the only problem, and I don’t want more obstacles to have to mow around. I feel like modding the car would be a better solution.

I've thought about putting some pavement reflectors in to make the edge of my driveway, like what the highway dept uses. But when I looked, they didn't seem to come in any less than a box of 100.

Really common in the off road world, if you go ghost around some of those sites. Not sure how big your rear bumper is, but I would go with two square flush mounts - that way you will get a little more light on the sides rather than just straight back.

Diode dynamics is sort of one of the cadilac off road lighting places. You can buy chinese Knock off's on amazon if you prefer.

Isn't the real issue your front lights are robbing your night vision? Unless you match the output of the fronts the backup lights will always be shining where you don't need them anyway.

Years ago I mounted a Hella halogen fog lamp at the rear. Works well, but a flood pattern would probably be even better.

RearFog1.JPG

Are there xB forums that you can search/browse? I'm sure other owners have the same gripe.

Some of the best backup lights were those ones that Honda hung off the bumpers of old Civics and Accords. I used to snag them whenever I came across them at the wrecking yards. I used them for trunk/underhood lighting.

Back