Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Quote:
Boeing Says Failed Generator Caused 787 Diversion

AWIN First Dec05, 2012
Guy Norris [email protected]
Los Angeles

Boeing says electrical system problems that caused the crew of a United Airlines 787 to divert to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport on Dec. 4 were triggered by the failure of one of the aircraft’s six main electric generators.

Initial reports indicated apparent issues with the aircraft’s sophisticated electrical system were flagged with on the engine indication and crew alerting system not long after the aircraft departed Houston for Newark around 8 a.m. The crew elected to divert to New Orleans after informing controllers at Houston Center that the aircraft had suffered an “electric malfunction.”

The aircraft, operating United flight 1146 with 174 passengers and 10 crew on board, landed without incident at 9:25 am.

Although reports from New Orleans suggest the crew suspected the aft electrical and electronics (E/E) bay as the source of the problem, program officials say inspections made after landing revealed no signs or fire or arcing.

This would mean the problem is not related to the in-flight fire in the aft E/E bay on test aircraft ZA002 in November 2010. That incident was traced to contamination by an unknown foreign object in the P100 power distribution panel that triggered one of the most serious incidents in the 787’s certification program .

Investigators now tell Aviation Week one of the aircraft ’s six starter-generators which form the heart of the electrical system appears to be the cause of the problem . The 787 system incorporates two 250 kVA generators per engine, and two 225 kVA generators on the auxiliary power unit, all operating at 235 volts alternating current.

The generators are connected to the engine gearboxes and operate at a variable frequency (360 to 800 Hz). Boeing adds that the “multiple redundancies built into the 787 ensured that the airplane remained powered. The generator will be replaced, additional checks completed and the airplane returned to service. There is no firm estimate for when this is expected to be complete but should not take long.”

The 787 electrical system is more sophisticated than on any previous commercial airliner because it replaces conventional engine bleed air to electrically power engine start, pressurization and wing ice protection. It also replaces hydraulic power for stabilizer trim and wheel brakes while supplying the traditional electrically-powered systems. The system incorporates two E/ E bays , one forward and one aft, as well as several remote power distribution units.

Operators are also checking 787s for improperly installed fuel-line connectors after the FAA issued an airworthiness directive calling for immediate inspections. The directive, which follows a Boeing service bulletin issued on Nov. 25, comes after fuel leaks were discovered in the in-service fleet. Inspections are focused on fuel system connectors in the engine pylon and whether lockwire and other components are correctly installed.

Last edited:
Aircraft generators are a big challenge as the electric demand goes higher and more transient.

Good lord that is a lot of current.

The entire system is pretty amazing. I didn't know the wings were anti-iced with electricity.

I wonder how reliable that will be in the long run. Bleed air has been pretty foolproof...

Seen on the news this morning there is currently only 3 787s in service in the United States at this time all flying with United Airlines. Hope they get there bugs out ASAP. The company that I work for supplies millions & millions of dollars per year to Boeing with Titanium.

Yep, the generators produce a half-megawatt of electrical power per engine.

It appears the EICAS System did its job well.

I think they still use bleed air for the engine nacelle inlets.

The less bleed air you use the more efficient the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stranger706

The entire system is pretty amazing. I didn't know the wings were anti-iced with electricity.

I wonder how reliable that will be in the long run. Bleed air has been pretty foolproof...

Electric de-icing was requested by the airliners. They want the aircraft ready to go as soon as the doors are buttoned up. They can de-ice the wings while loading passengers instead of waiting for the de-icing truck after the gate is closed.

New airplane, maybe the crew was being extra cautious?

The exact circumstances in this failure have not been made public. In any case the aircraft has 4 engine VFSG's and, depending on the failure mode, it is possible to dispatch it with only 3 functioning.

All new machines have unanticipated failure modes when placed in operation. This isn't as big as, say, wing cracks...but even the F-14 and F/A-18 had airframe issues early in their lives hat required modification. Electrical glitches in a fly by wire airplane are not something I would troubleshoot airborne...

Everything I've ever flown has had running changes as the result of actual experience in operation. I wouldn't worry about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back