Blizzak WS80 Multicell wear indicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Blizzak WS-tires' Multicell tread compound comprises the top 55 percent of the tires' tread depth with a standard winter tread compound comprising the remaining 45 percent. When Blizzaks are approximately 50 percent worn, their "snow platform" tread depth indicators "connect" selected shoulder tread blocks to indicate that the Multicell tread compound is almost worn out, and that the enhanced snow and ice performance is about to end."

I am just trying to figure out where is this indicator as I found a set used and want to see how much is left judging from the photos without making the long drive there.
Is it that little line in the outer 2 shoulder tread?

[Linked Image]

I see one in this photo. On the right side of the photo if you count up from the bottom, count gaps between the tread blocks. The 4th visible gap at the right shoulder edge, follow it in to the first main water channel and it is right above that. Or if you start in the rain groove on the right, it is directly above the 3rd shoulder groove going towards right shoulder. The bottom shoulder groove is only visible at the shoulder so I'm counting 4 on the outer shoulder and 3 if starting in the rain groove. They look like a normal tread wear indicators but they are larger, both taller of course and wider as well. They often have thin ridges on top of them, I can see them in this photo.

Originally Posted by WishIhadatruck
I see one in this photo. On the right side of the photo if you count up from the bottom, count gaps between the tread blocks. The 4th visible gap at the right shoulder edge, follow it in to the first main water channel and it is right above that. Or if you start in the rain groove on the right, it is directly above the 3rd shoulder groove going towards right shoulder. The bottom shoulder groove is only visible at the shoulder so I'm counting 4 on the outer shoulder and 3 if starting in the rain groove. They look like a normal tread wear indicators but they are larger, both taller of course and wider as well. They often have thin ridges on top of them, I can see them in this photo.

This?
[Linked Image]

Id say its probably here and as tire wears down that small sipe will disappear. Sort of like the DWS indicators on Continental DWS tires.

blizzackmod.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dbias
Id say its probably here and as tire wears down that small sipe will disappear. Sort of like the DWS indicators on Continental DWS tires.

Hmm.....Not sure.
This is a photo of a worn one.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wing0
Originally Posted by WishIhadatruck

This?
[Linked Image]

Yes its the block in the red square

Hmm.....Not sure.
[Linked Image]

You can see another one in this photo. It is down to the winter wear bar. Right main rain groove, near the top of the photo. You can also see the tread blocks have a mix of multi cell and normal compound (less texture and more shine to it) showing.

This is incorrect. The winter wear bars on Blizzaks are just like normal wear bars but taller and wider. They do usually have strips across the top of them so they can provide some traction too, lol.

Great. Thanks for the quick confirmations.
Kind of wish Bridgestone would put a photo to show it as I seem to not be able to find it.

closeup

its basically a 6/32 high block with little lines on top.

The 2/32 wear out marks are much shorter.

20181121_123241.jpg

Hmm.....Not sure.
[Linked Image]

Even this worn tire looks as though they'd still be good on ice!

Last edited:
I've run Blizzaks well past the first wear bar, and they still work better at 4/32" than new all-seasons.

Last edited:
after that wear bar its a normal winter tire compound. So still decent.

ps bitog totally mangled my 3MB pic into junk 35k pic.. so if you cant figure out what it is from the pic I dont blame you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back