Blain's F&F, 5w-30, 2987 mi, '06 Jeep Liberty 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

The Blain's Farm and Fleet private label oil is blended by Citgo/Mystik. The Blain's store in Sturtevant, WI sells it by the pallet load and folks buy it by the cart-full. I am using up my stash of 2 gallon jugs.

Code:

Filter: Purolator Classic

Engine Block: cast iron

Pistons: aluminum alloy

Oil Capacity: 5 quarts with filter

Viscosity: 5w-30 recommended for all temps

Miles on Jeep: 58,794

Miles per Year: ~11-12k

The Blain's VOA is at:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...400#Post1896400

My '06 Liberty 3.7l has had two ARX treatments. It started with oil consumption of ~600 miles per quart and finally improved to ~1,100 to 1,200 miles per quart. We purchased it from a Jeep dealer under Chrysler warranty at 28,000 miles. It has been subjected to harsh driving conditions with alternating weeks of
I recently installed the Chrysler PCV system plumbing upgrade, but this was on my own and not a factory recall. The results were inconclusive, but there appeared to be much less milky junk sucked into the air box. Our winters are not the longest and coldest, but they're right up there.

My most recent oil fill includes a pint of Kreen. I will report next fall if there is anything of note and if, of course, we still have this Jeep.

Liberty_041211.jpg

I regret not using the code block for the Blackstone results. My version Acrobat reader does not enable block text selection. The UBB code block also enables quick lists and tables.

With this usage, why change the oil at all? Just keep topping it off and change the filter every 7500 miles. Use the savings to fund the oil for top offs. Keep using the cheapest oils you can find that are within spec, and drive away. I wouldn't invest another penny into the cause if the dealer can't or won't fix it. It's only 2 tenths of a cent per mile for the oil usage, no return on investment to spend your own money. If you simply top off and never actually change it, it is actually cheaper over all.

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
With this usage, why change the oil at all? Just keep topping it off and change the filter every 7500 miles. Use the savings to fund the oil for top offs. Keep using the cheapest oils you can find that are within spec, and drive away. I wouldn't invest another penny into the cause if the dealer can't or won't fix it. It's only 2 tenths of a cent per mile for the oil usage, no return on investment to spend your own money. If you simply top off and never actually change it, it is actually cheaper over all.

paulswagelock,

I agree somewhat. That thought has crossed my mind, but the Jeep otherwise runs very well and there is still much residual value. That trade in value (for now) is what encourages me to keep the Jeep from collapsing into a beater.

I believe the results of the Kreen treatment will point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your post!

We purchased a new Liberty Limited in 2003 with the 3.7. ran it for 3 years and 40k miles without a drop used. Interesting yours has such high usage.

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
We purchased a new Liberty Limited in 2003 with the 3.7. ran it for 3 years and 40k miles without a drop used. Interesting yours has such high usage.

paulswagelock,

I understand. My son bought a 2002 Liberty new and kept it for almost 110k miles. No oil consumption at all. I bought my used Liberty during the transition between Old Chrysler and New Chrysler. My Cherokee, bought from the same dealer over 106k miles ago, uses no oil during 3k mile OCIs.

I have to go figure that one out while waiting for any last ditch Kreen results. Removing the Liberty V6 valve covers to take a look would be a real undertaking. For now, the Liberty runs well.

Yeah, my next move after the Kreen would be a thicker oil.

I'd start with a 5W-30 HM oil, and see how it goes from there. I'd do a couple of changes with each, and 'work your way up' to 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40....see if anything changes.

Originally Posted By: steve20
did you Carfax it to see if it was a rental vehicle in its former life?

steve20,

The Jeep dealer from which we had bought three Jeeps gave us the current Carfax. The previous owner was a private party, no accidents. I also got a list of the Chrysler warranty service incidents. Nothing special. In fact, that information package and the Chrysler warranty helped sell me on that Jeep.

However, I read in a Wall Street Journal article that frequent moving of cars about the dealer's lot leaves nasty ring deposits. This article appeared not long after I bought the car in the spring of 2008. This was also the time of the Chrysler troubles and rising gas prices. Perhaps the two are related.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I had figured that interest in the original posting had scrolled off the screen.

Thanks for your interest. Perhaps it will help another BITOGer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Yeah, my next move after the Kreen would be a thicker oil.

I'd start with a 5W-30 HM oil, and see how it goes from there. I'd do a couple of changes with each, and 'work your way up' to 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40....see if anything changes.

Brons2 and addyguy,

I've held off on 5w-40 and 10w-40 because I had introduced so many changes such as the recent PCV plumbing update. If we keep the Jeep, 10w-40 will be the next to try over the summer. If the "40" doesn't work, 5w-40 topoffs during the winter will be pricey. The Liberty is running 10w-30 MaxLife now.

We're only putting on about 10,000 miles per year now that our travel patterns have changed. It will take a while for me to try everything once. Thank you both for the encouragement!

So, you've got 10W-30 Maxlife, and a pint of Kreen in it now?

That's a pretty good combo - hopefully, it will help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back