Bill Heard Chevrolet Takes a guy's purchase back, without authorization!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As one who was bred, born, and raised in Tennessee, I am surprized at that there has not been more of a vigilanti response. Oh well, I guess this is progress.

He should immediately file a lien against the car. No lender would make a loan, no one with cash would buy the truck with a lien against it. If BH gave him a check for the $8100, he shouldn't cash it. Only a cashed check would allow the dealer to lift the lien. Otherwise, it would be off to court.

This guy that lost his truck might decide to call it a day, but he DOES have recourse..

And, GM deserves the black eye because, if there is THAT MUCH complaint-activity over a period of time, BH should have lost the franchise long before this incident. It is the factory that is the final authority, in my book anyway, that keeps the dealers in line. In the meantime, I'd say GM is in bed with, and on the side of, BH.

Proving joint culpability between GM and Bill Heard is a stretch. I'm still mystified how possession of temporary title, a signed contract, and a receipt for payment in full can be ignored by the police in what amounts to grand-theft auto (unless there's more to this than we've been told). If the local yokel Officer Fifes are too busy responding to a hot coffee at the nearest Dunkin' Donut Memorial Substation, maybe it's time to contact the State Attorney General.

This seems like a case closed win in court for that guy if he gets a good lawyer. I wouldn't have even talked to them after getting my truck stolen. From that point on, they can talk to my lawyer.

Or, sometimes there just ain't no replacement for 19th century old west style justice. Nothing says put that truck right back in my driveway like this:
 -

Seeing the links referred to brought back some memories. Such as the new car (Chevrolet) dealer in the Norfolk area that sold a customer a used truck that turned out to have been stolen, and then when the customer lost the vehicle after the police snagged it, refused to refund the customer's money. A deal is a deal . . . Or the Kia dealer that claimed it had to have my Social Security number just to give me a bloomin' brochure on a Rio . . .

Reminds me of the VW dealer in Georgia that tried to sue one of its customers for publicizing complaints with a new car bought from that dealer. You guys remember that one?

I doubt GM cares much as to whether Bill Heard loses money, wouldn't you, Ray? He's just one more dealer after all.

But if I'm GM, and was contacted on this, I'd have a Zonie down there the next morning to insist Bill Heard reverse the action. Stories like this make the papers, rile folks up, inspire peeps to shop elsewhere next time, and add to the general "din" against the industry in general, and GM in particular. Could GM force B.H. to reverse? Dunno, but there ought to be other ways for GM to bring the larger pressure to bear..

Not to drag in the GM v TOYOTA thing, but...

My bud bough a 2003 4-Runner, did the deal and the new Toyota dealer gave him the keys to a high-end model after he bought a base, diff of like $3k. They called hiom when he was out-of-town and asked for the truck back. He said, "OK, come get it, I'm not driving it back (2 states away)". Plus he said he put a "lot" of miles on it already. The dealer called Toyota corporate and they ok'ed for him to keep it. A great deal PLUS another $3k off a top-model. Oh, what a feeling! BTW- the paperwork is still screwy, it was not done for the truck he drove, the base he bought, but they went ahead and re-did it. Sweet. Nice guy, not that he deserves it, by hey if someone's got to get a deal why not him?

I guess I was lucky on my deal. They forgot to add the outstanding balance on my trade in the loan. So basically I got a 2000 f150 Lariat supercab for $15k in 2002 or $12k if you figure in the trade in balance they should of added on to it, 3k worth. I laughed on the way out the door, they didn't try to change it though. They were crooks anyways.

Clock Cleaning 101 at Heard Chevrolet. One AK-47 plus one really PO customer. One horrified and suddenly concerned State AG. One grand jury with me on the panel.

Jury Nullification 101.

This outfit hasn't run up on the "wrong" customer yet! It's only a matter of time at the rate they are making enemies!

The Bill Heard & Landshark Chevrolet dealerships here in Houston pull the same crooked antics. Everyone knows it, too, yet both dealerships are probably the biggest Chevrolet dealerships in town.

My mother-in-law and brother-in-law just bought cars from Landmark Chevrolet - poor ********, didn't consult me first! - and the dealership pulled a common scam on my B.I.L. where they actually CHANGED a number on his pay stub in order to make it look as if he made more money than he really did.

When the finance company verified his employment, the discrepancy was noted by his employer and he almost got fired over the deal (because the dealership told his employer that my B.I.L. must've forged the pay stub).

The dealership then said the financing wouldn't go through and insisted that he bring more money for the car or turn it back in. (This was almost a month after he BOUGHT the car!) Somehow he kept the car....not sure what went on after that. He probably got suckered and paid the extra money they requested.

Does that state have a Motor Vehicle department that licenses all dealerships? A complaint to them may be in order, in addition to the AJ. A lawyer still may be necessary.

Here in CA, both a Chevrolet and Toyota dealership (different owners) were shut down by the DMV due to shady business practices, particularly with non English-speaking customers.

Which state specifically?

These guys operate dealerships in Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.

On another forum they posted all the phone numbers and basically all the info to all the salesmen managers you name it. They've been getting prank calls since this has flooded the internet. I won't post a link or the info but it is funny to read the chat and phone conversations. A interesting tid-bit of info the main phone dispatcher worked at or still works at Hooters. A couple of the salesmen got their cell phone numbers posted in gay magazines, I guess their wifes answer their phones once or twice. I hate to work at that dealership, have to move out the country afterwards.

I don't condone it but you have to admit they're getting what they deserve.

It's really hard to do the right thing when you know the dealers will take as much from you as they think they can get away with. The salesman should have known the price was a mistake. My opinion is that we all should take the high road when dealing w/others.

not verbatim (from Bill Heard PDF):
quote:

It's not reasonable for us to be bound to a deal where a mistake was made.

eh. Their rationale is flimsy ... it's hard to imagine any other legit business repossessing goods because it realized a mistake on the price.

Okay, so let's put the shoe on the other foot. Suppose a fellow knows nothing about automobiles - prices, makes, models, options. He just wants a car. He visits Bill Heard and the salesman shows our ignorant friend "Model X" for $25,000 dollars, when, in reality "Model X" is worth in the famous "Blue Book" $15,000. Our friend says, "Okay, I'll take it." He writes a check and drives "Model X" home. It's only later that he learns he paid too much money. Would he be refunded the money or a portion of the money if he called or visited the dealership again? I think not! The old saying is trotted out again and again, "Let the BUYER beware!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back