Beware of Chinese Craftsman wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some years ago Sears dumped the manufacturer of Craftsman tools . Apparently, the company wouldn't lower their quality to reduce prices. Guess who they make tools for now??

KOBALT

I still have all of my craftsman tools bought back in the late 50's-early 60's.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
They are decent tools for the shade tree mechanic.

I'm a shade tree mechanic and my wrenches are Snap-on USA.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
They are decent tools for the shade tree mechanic.

I'm a shade tree mechanic and my wrenches are Snap-on USA.

Same here, though a lot of it is inherited. Some of my snap on gear is from the 40's. Broke both my Stanley ratchets in my "go set" and replaced both of them with Snap-on ones that have been, of course, perfect.

Though Trav has me seriously interested in some German tools. If I could just stop buying guns and oil I might be able to afford some, LOL!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I am trying to buy as little from China as possible.
I read that Chinese fish (farmed) has little oversight and may be fed feces....ECHHH

I like fruit but cant buy tangerines anymore because they are all from China.
It is accepted practice there to fertilize the soil with human waste, no thanks. Check the box for COO or cans if buying canned fruit.

First they sell poison pet food now they feed us their feces, will this country wake up to and stop buying their garbage?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I am trying to buy as little from China as possible.
I read that Chinese fish (farmed) has little oversight and may be fed feces....ECHHH

The girlfriends family took a large take out order of ribs home from a local rib/ steakhouse place for last Memorial Day. They gave them boxes that were used for fish that said "Product of China."

Sure makes you wonder how many places use Chinese bought fish. At least in most top grocery stores, they would be labeled as such.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
If you want American made tool truck quality at non tool truck prices check out Wright Tool. All of their stuff is made here in Ohio and the wrenches are top shelf.
DSC00017.JPG

They manufacture great ratchets and sockets too.
DSC00012.JPG

Many items are available on Amazon or Harry Epstein
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hi?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Wright+Tool&node=228013
http://harryepstein.com/

Good looking tools no doubt, but they are way too $$$ for me. Maybe if I didn't have my USA Craftsman set.. Lol.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
If you want American made tool truck quality at non tool truck prices check out Wright Tool. All of their stuff is made here in Ohio and the wrenches are top shelf.
DSC00017.JPG

They manufacture great ratchets and sockets too.
DSC00012.JPG

Many items are available on Amazon or Harry Epstein
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hi?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Wright+Tool&node=228013
http://harryepstein.com/

Good looking tools no doubt, but they are way too $$$ for me. Maybe if I didn't have my USA Craftsman set.. Lol.

Holy Mackerel, I guess so. Just looked up a set on Amazon.

The problem with Sears (and I work there, kind of) is its run by a financial guy rather than a retailer. They sell something like $30 billion/yr but have expenses of $32 billion. They try and cut costs and end up with junky tools.

If Sears did not have the warranty they would be history.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Look for the Craftsman made in Taiwan or USA.

Agree about Taiwan. I recently got a new torque wrench made in Taiwan, good price and very nice quality, much better than the 10 year old Craftsman it replaced which had most of the markings worn off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: neo3
Originally Posted By: Donald
Look for the Craftsman made in Taiwan or USA.

Agree about Taiwan. I recently got a new torque wrench made in Taiwan, good price and very nice quality, much better than the 10 year old Craftsman it replaced which had most of the markings worn off.

Also if you return a plain 1/2" ratchet, see if you can pay a little and get the next one up in quality from Taiwan. If you return a US made plain ratchet, you will get a Chinese rebuilt (most likely). If you return the next one up (Taiwan) you may get a new one. When they are on sale the plain ratchet and the next one up are about $8 dollars apart. The fine tooth ratchet is another $50.

The Wright wrenches bear a striking resemblance to an economy line of wrenches offered by MAC back in the 60's. Any idea who makes 'em?

Mike

If you want the real thing, check out flea Markets.

You can haggle and get SnapOn, Craftsman, other brands for ½ or less.

Originally Posted By: Electrajoe

If you want the real thing, check out flea Markets.

You can haggle and get SnapOn, Craftsman, other brands for ½ or less.

Pawn shops are another great option. I have almost half my automotive specialty tools from pawn shops.

Originally Posted By: Mike Simmons
The Wright wrenches bear a striking resemblance to an economy line of wrenches offered by MAC back in the 60's. Any idea who makes 'em?

Mike

All Wright Tools are manufactured by WRIGHT TOOL here in Ohio.
This is how you receive them.
DSC00031.JPG

Originally Posted By: Mike Simmons

Mike

If there's any connection it's because Wright made the tools for Mac. Although I've never heard of Wright-made Mac tools, Wright has made tools for the truck brands. Many older Matco ratchets were actually Wright ratchets.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
People still pay made in USA prices for their made in China tools. If im buying Chinese tools, im paying chinese prices (harbor freight, etc)

I agree with the above statement.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

People still pay made in USA prices for their made in China tools. If im buying Chinese tools, im paying chinese prices (harbor freight, etc)

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back