Beta Ratio Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a wix filter, part number 51410. According to the wix website they list the beta ratio as 2/20=17/41. I've done a lot of google searches, so I just want to verify with somebody who knows that I am understanding this correctly.

I think what that ratio is saying is that - the filter will stop 50percent of 20 micron particle and approx. 85% of the 41 micron particles. Do I have this correct.

It will catch 50% (the "2" = 1/(over)2= 1/2=50%) of particles 17um and HIGHER.

It will catch 95% (19/20= 95/100=95%) of particles 41um and HIGHER.

2 is to 17um
20 is to 41um

EDIT:
This is a hydraulic/auto trans filter. Keep in mind that it has no bypass valve.

[ September 11, 2006, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
It will catch 50% (the "2" = 1/(over)2= 1/2=50%) of particles 17um and HIGHER.

It will catch 95% (19/20= 95/100=95%) of particles 41um and HIGHER.

2 is to 17um
20 is to 41um

EDIT:
This is a hydraulic/auto trans filter. Keep in mind that it has no bypass valve.

Copy, looking for something to use inline with the trans on a remote filter mount that has a 3/4-16 thread. Will never run the filter long enough for it to plug.

Why did they ever come up with such a system, other than to make it some sort of "secret", that was widely available, but still above the average punter ?

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Why did they ever come up with such a system, other than to make it some sort of "secret", that was widely available, but still above the average punter ?

Wait for The Ashes where you have a chance....

Cause you can't beat the All Blacks...
wink.gif

----------------------------

The reason Beta ratios came about was because filter "specs" at the time were how a sheet or piece of media tested "Nominally". ( or 50% efficiency)

Dr. Henry Fitch of Oklahoma State University was commissioned to find a way to establish a test on "completed" filters and not just a piece of media by the US Government. So that there could be an apples to apples test procedure to determine how efficient the filter is at removing contaminant.

Here's a link which explains Beta ratio's:

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/89-5R3.html

Ok. help me make I have this.
A filter co lists it's filter specs as

BX=2
BX=75
------

And it says "Estab Micron Rating" 6

Does this mean it is filtering out 50% of 6 Micron particles??

Quote:

BX=2
BX=75
------

Help me make sure I have this.
Where did that edit button go?
ooo.gif

Yes.

Beta6=2 or 1(over)/2 = 1/2=50%

you take the beta number divided INTO the beta number -1 ...hence 2 is 1/2 ..20 is 19/20...75 is 74/75 .......beta 1000 is 999/1000

That is, 1 out of 2 (input size particle) of that size OR GREATER will be removed with that filter under that test criteria.

You should be able to determine which number is which simply by realizing that beta ratios TEND to fall into 2,10, 20, 75, 1000 ..but the particle yield in removal is all over the place. 3, 7, 13, 27, 44, etc.

Err...

B6=2

Means that is 6 micron particles---and larger--.

B22=75 again means 22 micron particles and larger..

No beta test has one specific size particle in the fluid stream..

I thought that I said that
grin.gif

I just want him to be able to sensibly cope with a table view where the beat ratio is listed as 2,10,20, etc. and where he'll see resultant particle sizes ...which if you attempted to integrate it into a BX= would wrongly look like this:

Beta2=6

So even if he "thinks" that's what he's looking at ..he'll know that there isn't (TYPICALLY) any such thing as a 5/6 or 83% efficiency for a 2um particle level of filtration.

Looking at the table here one could assemble Beta 2,10,10 = X% all listed vertically.

Beta10=10 works
Beta2=10 works
Beta10=2 works
but
Beta17=20 could only work one way

so ..if you incorrectly put Beta20=17 together in your head ..you should, with the knowledge that that would most likely HAVE to mean a 95% efficiency level @ 17um and greater. The particle size will always be the oddball ..if there is an oddball.

It's just a simple way to remember it for someone who doesn't deal with it enough to bother cementing it in their head. In the scheme of life skills ..this can all fall into "did he shoot 6 times or only 5
confused.gif
".

For example, Wix posts

Beta ratio 2/20 = 12/42

Anyone could integrate that to

beta2=12
beta20=42

by just knowing that efficiency ratings fall into a stable format ..while particles do not ..you can figure it out without being "techically correct".

Quote:

Quote:

BX=2
BX=75
------

Help me make sure I have this.
Where did that edit button go?
ooo.gif

So this looks to be a decent filter right?
Oh it also says Average Efficiency 89.5%

I know we don't know exactly how the test is being run on the filter. Method and such.

Yes, it looks like a decent filter. It's got a 50% rating for 6um and greater particles (very fine) and a 98.67% rating for 22um and above particles.

1 out of 2 (50%) 6um (and above) are filtered
74 out of 75 (98.67%) 22um (and above) are filtered.

That would probably be a multipass test. The specifics, IIRC by FG's postings, will depend on the OEM spec's for the application that it's intended for. If it's spec'd for mulitiple applications, I imagine that it (the test that produced these results) exceeds all of those spec's for flow and contamination.

Interesting.

That filter doesn't xref to Wix or Donaldson. It does a Purolator PP (L15313) which also doesn't xref to Wix or Donaldson.

It looks like a common Chevy filter
confused.gif

Quote:

Interesting.

That filter doesn't xref to Wix or Donaldson. It does a Purolator PP (L15313) which also doesn't xref to Wix or Donaldson.

It looks like a common Chevy filter
confused.gif

Well it is a different filter than most of the chevys. ACDelco cross is the PF454. I believe it is only for the recent big block gas engines. My 2006 Silverado with 8.1L.
The other V8s use a much more common filter. It is a surprisingly short filter but Baldwin shows 225.3 sq in of media.

I'm not math minded. I chose the PureOne based on recommendations from the folks on the board, and their experiences. I recently checked with PuroLator, and got the beta ratio for the PureOne line, and here is their reply:
The beta ratio for the PureOne filter is as follows:

Beta(20)1,000, Beta(10)15.5

Regards,

Richard Hedgepeth
Product Engineering Manager
Just FYI, he also states that in the AC filter application, PF-61, that even though there is no ADV present in that filter, that their PL25288 will work with no reduction in flow due to the ADV being present. So, in laymans terms: Is the P1 a good filter, or wouldn't stop a grain of sand?

PureOne are outstanding filters imo. One of the best bangs for the buck in the finer end of things ..except maybe MotorCraft ..which empirical data suggests are even finer for less $$$ (this is not assured or conclusive - just suggested).

As far as Purolator's beta spec's ..that is the first time that I've seen fractional ratios
confused.gif

The way that it's stated it has to be with 10um and 20um particles.

So you've got 999/1000 for 20um particles (99.9%) and

14.5/15.5 for 10um particles (93.5%)

This is a good rating as they state it ..but I've never seen a filter that doesn't have a 50% (betaX=2) spec.
confused.gif

Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back