Best Way to "Justify" Piston Single Ownership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOLO, you only live once, and, unfortunately, many men die early after years of suffering. Live the way you want when you can. Get that airplane and enjoy it. Mankind has only been flying for just over a century, take advantage of the opportunity!

My closest friend suddenly dropped dead. He was a 787 captain for American Airlines and had big plans for his upcoming retirement. 59 years old.

My advice, do the things you want without delay. It's nice to plan for the future, but the future is not assured. Statistically, the risk is very high that "one" may not be able to fly 5 years down the road.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that once a man is over 50, health and yes even life is not assured. Health related issues suddenly happen that can curtail certain activities. And certain required medications are grounding items. Last week my left eye suddenly became inflamed due to underlying autoimmune issues. Risky

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that once a man is over 50, health and yes even life is not assured. Health related issues suddenly happen that can curtail certain activities. And certain required medications are grounding items. Last week my left eye suddenly became inflamed due to underlying autoimmune issues. Risky
I

Amen. My litany began with the rheumatoid arthritis, another autoimmune issue.

On the boat vs. plane economics I had one friend tell me that his new boat cost-to-own was almost exactly equal to the TBM he had owned (since sold, health also). Considering that the boat is a Nordhavn 68 sure gives me some scale as to what flying was costing him! Being rich doesn't hurt but, hey, he earned it, so I agree with YOLO. However long we may have it only makes sense, beyond our responsibilities, to spend it actually living.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

My closest friend suddenly dropped dead. He was a 787 captain for American Airlines and had big plans for his upcoming retirement. 59 years old.

I am so sorry to hear that.
I have know of you for over 10 years now, with us both being in aviation and having Listeroid engines - So I have proably seen pics of him. May he rest in Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back