Best type of valve cover and oil pan gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently was told that the cork/rubber mix gaskets are best for aluminum valve covers and OEM oil pans. Any opinions? I thought rubber was best.

whatever OEM is, unless your leaking more frequent then expected.

Fel-Pro rubber gaskets have served me 150k+ on the valve covers without a leak, it is thicker and more pliable then OEM for my cars.

I have had best success with Fel-Pro, both cork and rubber. I dress them with Permatex Aviation #3. Comes in a small bottle with a brush applicator that makes it a breeze. Dab of FIPG on sharp corners if applicable (like 1/2 moon for cam shaft).

Last edited:
I keep sheets of the cork/rubber stuff in different thicknesses for those items. I cut and punch what I need and use gasket shellac.

The Corvair is tricky because it is a flat pan, so there is always oil over the joint.

Also have the paper and fiber type in different thicknesses.

Last edited:
I buy whatever Fel-pro is selling. Let them worry about what's best.

OP wants to know the type, not the brand... Sometimes there are a couple options offered from one manufacturer like cork, (of varying thicknesses), cork/rubber and/or rubber.

Depending of the application, I really like Fel-Pro black cork/rubber gaskets. They're cheap and really seal well- sometimes better than the comparable molded rubber.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
OP wants to know the type, not the brand... Sometimes there are a couple options offered from one manufacturer like cork, (of varying thicknesses), cork/rubber and/or rubber.

Depending of the application, I really like Fel-Pro black cork/rubber gaskets. They're cheap and really seal well- sometimes better than the comparable molded rubber.

That's exactly what I was asking. I see Felpro makes a cork/rubber mix gasket that I thought might be good but have never used. There must be a reason they make them as an option.

I just got a felpro "perma-dry" oil pan gasket. Its like rubber, but probably EDPM and stated to use no RTV on it or it will fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back