Best Sports Cars of the 1980s and 1990s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
A Solara V6 with some TRD goodies. RWD...not in New England in the winter.

That is a laughable sports car.

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
BMW E30 M3 1987-1992. Look up its racing history and success.

One of my fondest automotive memories is a day spent lapping Sears Point(now Sonoma Raceway) in a 1988 M3 equipped with a Dinan suspension and a Conforti chip. The only cars that I had to give a point-by to were an ex-IMSA E21 320 Turbo and a 911 Turbo. Simply a brilliant car. I bitterly regret not snapping one an E30 M3 when they were relatively inexpensive.

Best bang for the buck from that era is probably still the 1998-2002 LS-1 Camaro/Trans Am. You can buy nice low mileage (15K-35K miles) examples for $10K-$12K. For a little more overall handling and performance the Camaro SS and Trans Am WS6 are hard to beat. Anything better in another brand seems to cost more or comes with a lot more miles.

Ah the 80s and 90s.. The best time ever for cars.
I want so many of them. I wish cars were still as awesome as they used to be.

I agree with the NSX, incredible car.. Especially for its time.
I have always love the Nissan Z32 and still aspire to own one.
There are so many good ones..

I agree with the NSX
For my spending range, I want a pristine 1984-85 Rx7 Gsl-se
smile.gif

If the criteria is driving dynamics (power to weight) and reliability, I wouldn't put the 3000GT and F40 on the list. The 3000GT was very heavy & not nimble. I don't know about the F40's reliability, but in general Ferraris from the 1980s and early 90s had poor reliability

I drove a Trans-Am from the late 80s, it was not a good handler either, so I personally wouldn't include any GM F-Body on the list

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
A Solara V6 with some TRD goodies. RWD...not in New England in the winter.

That's not a sports car...it's a mundane sedan.

Best sport car of the 80's was Toyota Supra of early decade, around 1982-1984. It had very smooth I6 engine and the styling was very good for that decade.

Of the 90's, Acura NSX was the best of all exotic cars for few years, from 1991 to around 1995-1996.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Even LS1 F-bodies did pretty good, running low 13's and doing better in SCCA and the road course then most people here would like to admit.

Fixed it for you.

But that is THEIR problem (and peril if they decide to challenge on a road course).

Elitist/affluent, or even marque snobbery attitudes do NOTHING AT ALL for you out on a road course.
wink.gif
LOL

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
We will define 'best' as in
1. Best driving dynamics: ex. handling, fun factor and power to weight. And in
2. Durability and Reliabilty
Basic Criteria: must be able to be had with a manual transmision, must be a 2 seater or 2+2, and in this case, must be hardtop (yes i know that excludes the Miata, a great driving sports car in its own right. Also must be RWD or AWD.
Examples: Rx7, Supra, Mr2, Starion, Conquest, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, 300zx, 240sx, Fiero, Ect.
Go!!

I know I'm going to be accused of bias, but Porsche 959 for the 80's, and 993 Turbo for the 90's.

The NSX.

But for pure emotion the 355 or F40. I know the 355 is a POS, I know the motor will explode and it will break and all sorts of expensive ways. But I still want one, I simply don't care. Same with the F40.

The 959 was the most technologically advanced car of its day.

Last edited:
93 Porsche 911 RS America

For low bucks it was hard to beat the early 90's Mitsubishi eclipses with the 2.0 litre turbo.
My first brand new car. Performed on par with my first porsche 928.

The 300ZX turbo, RX7 Turbo, and Supras could be cranked up to ridiculous power levels.

Last edited:
You mention reliability and the Mazda RX-7? Only the early non-turbo models would last.

I have heard, however, that turbocharged RX-7 models are so enjoyable to drive, that people would be willing to pay the high price to maintain and repair them. People who claim there was never an unreliable Japanese car will make excuses for the RX-7 "Because rotary."

A 300ZX Twin Turbo would be far more affordable and reliable. The MKIV Supra was a little bit better, but they are far more expensive.

15 years from now, importing more FD RX-7, MKIV Supra, and Z32 300ZX models will be easy. It may save some people a good deal of money if they are willing to live with right hand drive. I have heard that a few years after those cars stopped being sold in the USA, they got a few improvements. The MKIV Supra gained VVTi and got less lag despite using a single turbo. The Z32 300ZX had some styling upgrades, and I don't remember how many things were done to make the FD RX-7 better.

When getting an R34 in the USA is easy, I wonder how many people will be buying them and what they will cost.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I didn't see one mention of the C5 Corvette?

I didn't specifically say C5, I just said LS1 Corvette.
smile.gif

But I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back