Best Scenic-Fun-Awesome Roads, Bridges, Tunnels

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's really nice about a summer drive up on & near I-70 in the Colorado rockies, is you get to see about ~ 1 new car an hour up there. Not kidding, there are so many car makers testing out their prototypes & test cars in the mountains to check for engine & systems issues with heat and high elevation. Kind of cool to observe sometimes. Next year's Corvettes, followed by future Mustangs, etc, like that.

One of my favorites is the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge between Taos and Tres Peidras New Mexico:

4RioGrandeflyingdoginc.jpg

Also the highway bridge just below Glen Canyon Dam in Page, AZ is spectacular with the red canyon walls and emerald green river water:

gary-smith-glen-canyon-dam.png

I've managed all but the Virginia and Louisiana. There's a lot to see in this country that many that will travel overseas have never seen=strange to me. For some reason my wife is scared every time going over the Tampa Sunshine bridge.
Before I70 was built US24 up Ute Pass out of Colo Springs was a familiar route of the auto test fellas. I've talked to one as he chuckled about blasting around there in mid 60's Buicks.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
What's the best drive? Scenic, fun, awesome, etc.
I just found out about the Denmark-Sweden ocean bridge, and it has got to rank as one you might want to just go back and forth on all day long, or at sunset at least! (It also made me think, man, we could afford one or two things like that if only we didn't have to defend Europe-Middle East-Asia with a $600 billion per year military budget.)
fnIUGf5.jpg

It dives into a tunnel at one point. Very cool. Drive it slow, then do it fast again.
9PXvGxg.jpg

I have crossed that bridge by car coach and train, you do get a good view, at least from the coach.
The toll is quite heavy but you pay on the Swedish side, If you tell them you got on the wrong road when leaving Kastup Airport and just want to go back, and they may let you cross for free.

There is a great documentary on the building of the bridge on YouTube.

The trains in Denmark and Sweden work on different voltages, a train crossing the bridge has to adapt halfway across.

I enjoy the stretch of PCH between Santa Monica and Port Hueneme. I purposefully take that route whenever it makes sense, got my first *and knock on wood only* speeding ticket on it, well worth it.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I enjoy the stretch of PCH between Santa Monica and Port Hueneme. I purposefully take that route whenever it makes sense, got my first *and knock on wood only* speeding ticket on it, well worth it.

I got a speeding ticket there back in 1989, cop pulled two of us cars over at the same time!
Vacationed up and down the southern CA coast 2 years ago, so Pacific Coast Highway PCH is pretty cool. Then went up and down Oregon's PCH last year, and again good.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

PCH gets even better as you go north of Port Hueneme / Camarillo / Oxnard. I also use it to get from LAX to that area, not just because its nice but because 405/101 traffic sucks rocks. :-/

There are about twenty to thirty bridges in the 40 or so miles of highway between the Arkansas River Valley and the Ozark Plateau. It's not necessarily awesome, but it's a nice drive, especially in the Fall or Spring, and one of the mountains that couldn't be dealt with any other way, has a nice hole drilled through it.

The Pig Trail probably is awesome, but I think all of the rain washed part of it down a mountain and it will be closed for another couple of months. We have awesome scenic roads in abundance around here. It's a great place to go drive.

I ride a motorcycle, so any good road for me has to have corners, lots and lots and lots of corners - I live in New Zealand so this is the perfect place for me, I'm on convoluted roads 1km from my door. Here a 400km ride with 4,000 corners is easily doable...even easier if you want to talk in miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back