Best rubber lubricant ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Don't use silicone lube on silicone "rubber".

Synthetic Super Lube is not compatible with EPDM rubber, a common vehicle elastomer.

You're wrong on both counts.

Well, darn. This O-ring manufacturer also lists silicone grease and oil as not compatible with silicone rubber: check page 17
21.gif

www.balseal.com/sites/default/files/tr60d_020707133101.pdf

Comments?

Originally Posted By: Rockrz
Who knew silicone could not be mixed with silicone?

LOL. I was even more shocked that SuperLube says it's synthetic grease is not EPDM compatible, because EPDM is a very common rubber on vehicles.

Another shocker to many is that SIL-Glyde is not a silicone grease. It contains a very tiny percent of actual silicone. silicone polymer with silica (filler)??

25322-69-4 Polypropylene glycol....................... 30-60%
67762-90-7 Dimethyl silicone polymer with silica 7-13%
Oleoyl Sarcosine Mixture.......................................0.1-1%
84-66-2Diethyl phthalate.....................................0.1-1%
110-25-8
Glycine, N-methyl-N-(1-oxo-9-octadecenyl)-, (Z)-.0.1-1%
90-30-2
N-Phenyl-1-naphthylamine.....................................0.1-1%

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Don't use silicone lube on silicone "rubber".

Synthetic Super Lube is not compatible with EPDM rubber, a common vehicle elastomer.

Yes, but their silicone grease is compatible with EPDM and silicone grease is what one normally uses with EPDM and natural rubber.

I agree with you and deleted my initial response to you, George. In the past I thought that Superlube synthetic marketed itself as generally safe for all plastics and rubber.

Last edited:
I guess next they'll tell us oil doesn't mix with oil, and water won't mix with water!

At any rate, all we can do is go by what the manufacturer says since they should know what additives they put in to their products that cause adverse reactions when mixed with certain materials.

Maybe the way to protect rubber is with whale blubber

Last edited:
I have been using Sil-Glyde (made by AGS) for over 30 years now, I see no reason to change at this stage in the game.
Unless something better comes along which I will find hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back