Best replacement for OEM Toyota Type IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my co-worker got more than she bargained for when she first asked me about her high-mileage Highlander.

Wally World has Max-Life ATF here for $3.67 per quart. If it comes up again, that's what I'm recommending.

I have now logged 35k miles with a full fluid exchange using Redline D4 in place of T-IV with bypass filtration in place. I have not sent in a sample for UOA but I can say the shifting has been great in both 30 degree weather and 120 degree days here in phoenix. I haven't tried any other fluids, so I cant speak on any other brands, but at this point I really don't see any room for improvement. Its expensive no doubt, but worth every penny if you are fed up with T-IV. D4 also works great in Toyota power steering systems!

My 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara has an Aisin-Warner (Toyota) 5 speed automatic which also specs Type IV (3309). I do partial drain/refills every 15K miles of approx 4 quarts. I have used both genuine Mobil 3309 as well as Castrol MV with good results. If you want the genuine 3309 and can't find it locally here is an source I have used in the past....

http://avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html

I do know it's the same stuff, I just don't like buying anything from the dealership, so the mobil 3309 is the choice.

My bro has a RX350 with 60K miles. He told me there a slight "jump" in RPM is some higher gears (this is fooools language -- for folks on this forum know the tranny is crying for new blood). Took it for the stealership and they recommended ATF ToyotaWS fluid change (I bet they drained and filled the tranny). Cost $160 and the "jump" in RPM is gone according to my bro.

When I kept telling him you need to take care of anything moving on the vehicle, he ignored my advice. Since the "jump" in RPM is gone, I see a smile on my ignorant bro's face.

Joys of 100K fluids (my highlander dipstick clearly says no need to replace fluid for normal driving, I am no foooool like my bro)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back