Best quality oil filter brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been here for a long time but I've started to use my bikes again and I need to get upto speed on oil and filters.
What is the consensus on which are the best engine oil filter brands? I've had a trawl on youtube but most of the contributors don't really know what they are looking at or how to determine the good from the bad, apart from Fram, they seem to be universally known as junk! From what I've seen so far though, it would seem Bosch and Mann are ok.
What I would like to know though, is there a star performer? I don't care about price, I just want the best out there. This is for standard disposable screw on types.

OK I will bite.

Is GB "Great Brittain" because it is quite possible that what you get there might not be the same as what we get here in the US.

And what bike? Or at least what is a common part number for the filter?

Edit: Ah I see you added the MV Augusta to your signature. Does it take a common filter?

Last edited:
GB is indeed Great Britain. It's bikes though, I don't know the common part #'s for all of them, soz for that. Shouldn't be a factor though, unless one or more may be unavailable from a given manufacturer. I'll cross that bridge as and when. We can start with my 2005 MV Agusta Brutale 750S though, as that needs a service now.

A quick perusal of some MV forums seems to indicate "Honda" filters fit. If so you are in luck because there are a myriad of good filters for a Honda.

Common numbers should be:
Fram 7317
Puro 14610
Bosch 3323
WIX 57356

I've cut all of these open and posted them here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by evoboy
Fram??!! Really?

Why not? They have been around near forever and tend to be priced decently and work well. Have worked well for a very long time.

The internet nonsense about construction was started by a competitor and the often cited "fiber endcaps are bad" ignores the fact that it's the same material used in the filtering media...

Found a Champion ref. F305 but Fram don't have an equiv! Typical!

For bikes in the UK, not a lot of help. I dunno if there Fram filters in the UK?

Over in the USA I only use Napa Gold (WIX) for Harley, Honda, etc.

I would guess that Mann might be a good choice over there ... They worked well on my Audi.

Fram have always been quite a big brand here but their Ultra range doesn't seem to be available. UK consumers aren't very savvy about oil and filters etc. The performance market is but it's quite a small % of the market.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
A quick perusal of some MV forums seems to indicate "Honda" filters fit. If so you are in luck because there are a myriad of good filters for a Honda.

Common numbers should be:
Fram 7317
Puro 14610
Bosch 3323
WIX 57356

I've cut all of these open and posted them here.

I'm going try the XG7317 on my XSR900 after seeing this guy put one on his XSR900. The XG7317 is over-sized, but it fits on the mount and still clears the headers OK. The filter that's the same size as the Yamaha/Denso is the XG6607.

https://youtu.be/gj7eE9TUI6w?t=2m

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I'm going try the XG7317 on my XSR900 after seeing this guy put one on his XSR900. The XG7317 is over-sized, but it fits on the mount and still clears the headers OK. The filter that's the same size as the Yamaha/Denso is the XG6607.

The XG7317 will fit most metric bikes unless you have very tight clearances.
Whenever I get to the point of having to buy a filter for my bike, the XG7317 will be what I buy, and will stay on the bike for a few years.

Amsoil doesn't make filters.
They only put their name on someone else's filter and charge an arm and a leg.

If you really want to get technical so does a bunch of other "Name Brand" filters (Eg: Champion), and so what. If it's built to their spec WHO CARES!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back