BEST product to use on auto weatherstripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
If money is no object GM makes a special grease that is only used on weather striping and to repack electrical engine cooling fan motors. If money is an object I would recomend Prestone 100%Silicone Spray sold at walmart or Amways brand of SIlicone spray! It is about as gentel as you are going to get in terms of not being loaded with solvents or a ton of petrolem distillates!

My Impala's manual recommends the application of Silicone Grease once a year. I use the little clear dielectric grease tubes available at any parts store for spark plug boots. First I clean the strips with armor-all wipes, then apply the grease with my finger, going as thin as possible, uses two tubes. The strips in both my 86k '96 Impala and my 166k '93 Ciera still look and feel like new.

DuPont makes a lubricant called Krytox that is recommended for weatherstrips. No silicone. Krytox is actually a line of lubricants, some thick like grease and some liquid like oil. I'm not sure which is the recommended one, but PPG Auto Glass Stores have it. It is along the lines of "money is no object" though. I haven't bought any yet, but I am told it is expensive.

Honda/Acura dealers use Shin-Etsu silicone grease.

It's good stuff (it has to be, it's from Japan!
worshippy.gif
)

wink.gif

303 Aerospace Protectant. Problem with silicone grease and sprays is that silicone really attracts dust and grime. This can transfer to your clothes when entering/exiting your vehicle if used on the EPDM weatherstripping (inside doors, trunks). On exterior weatherstripping (around windows), it can help to prematurely age the rubber. This is from grime attraction and UV magnification, and silicone stripping the protective wax from in rubber. This is why some people's weatherstripping turns gray after repeated use of gloss enhancing, silicone laden protectants. This is also why they have a lot of problems with the rubber becoming dry and brittle.

303 Protectant contains a very powerful sunscreen, therefore eliminating the problem with UV light and graying of rubber. It also won't attract dust/grime. You can read a lot more on auto rubber care on 303's website at http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=techfacts.
Then read through the volumes they have listed. Very good info.

303 Protectant can be found at RV and boat centers, or ordered on line. I pay about $15 for 16 oz at a local RV center, and the bottle has lasted over a year.

Another product very similar to 303 is Lexol Vinylex. It is cheaper than 303 and I can find it at Pep Boys. But it leaves slightly more of a gloss (but nowhere near "shiny") compared to 303's matte or Satin finish. I prefer 303's finish, but it is personal preference.

Neither product has the wet weather durability of silicone products, but the protection is still there when appearance is diminished. And the parts treated return to being black after a car wash. I reapply 303 every 30-45 days.

More info about these types of products can be found at www.autopia.org in the forums. Excellent info about detailing cars there from very knowledgeable, and oftentimes professional detailers.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I was going to suggest that a reasonably priced source is "Dow Corning 4" or "77" silicon grease. It is simply pure, white silicon oil and filler. Since it is an industrial product rather than a boutique product it is relatively cheap, about the same price as regular grease available from industrial supply outlets. Available in sizes from 2 ounces to 5 gallon pails. Been used on aircraft window seals forever.

Then I read the interesting info on 303.

For weather stripping, and black vinyl, I use an all silicone product by Marson. It's called K-2 silicone compound. It is for the auto industry for weather stripping, for metal to rubber or glass contact. It works wonders on my black bumper cover (Subaru) when I get wax on it. Only problem is that I got it from work and we ordered it through 'Grainger' Brian

I second the 303 Aerospace Protectant usage. Kind of expensive but a little goes a long way. If you go to the web site they offer a free sample pack.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
I second the 303 Aerospace Protectant usage. Kind of expensive but a little goes a long way. If you go to the web site they offer a free sample pack.

The problem with 303 is that once you see how well it works, you keep finding more uses for it and have to buy more.

303 is the way to go. I just bit the bullet and bought a gallon and now I use it for anything and everything....should last me the rest of my life.

I'll be the 5th to recommend 303. I use it on all my interior and exterior plastic. I also use it as a tire dressing.

303 isn't as expensive when you buy it by the gallon.

I don't know if it's a national chain, but I can get 303 protectant around here at a place called Murray's Auto Parts. Even though they don't have super low, discount prices they have niche stuff like Amsoil, 303, Mopar ATF+4, all the Mobil1s including 0w-20 etc.

A 16oz bottle of 303 cost me about $13.00 there. Using it wisely I need less than a bottle per car a year. So for me at least, the cost isn't very significant.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by timmy8151:
303 isn't as expensive when you buy it by the gallon.

Sounds like what I need. Where and how much?

Use a search engine to look for 303 products.
The first time I tried it I got it direct from the manufacturer.
And also puchased at the same as Kernel.
RichR

Today I ordered some 303 direct from their site. They have a gallon refill plus a 16oz spray bottle deal for $53.00 plus a flat rate of $10.00 shipping. Smoking deal. It comes out to almost exactly half the price I can get it locally at Murray's. It's a lot at once but the other offers on the 303 site don't really come out to enough of a bargain for me to bother.

Anyway I'm happy to have a supply of great protectant for a lot of years. If anyone else has been looking to acquire some it's a great time to check it out.

http://www.303products.com/store/category.cfm?Category=7&CFID=462126&CFTOKEN=51047894

The best deal is at the very bottom of the page.

KP, thanks for the 303 link. That is a killer deal. Comes out to $7 for a 16 oz bottle including shipping. I love it for cars and boats. Put it on plastic before waxing and wax won't stick to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back