BEST place to bring old OIL after you do an OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kragen stores here will take it but don't really like too.

Trash company here does the recycleing and they take it, are very nice and even ask if I want the 4cents per qt. Filters also.

Here the yellow pages has a section on recycleing and where to go.

I just throw it in the burn barrel and burn it with my trash. Before any tree huggers chime in I am sure someone on here has a car that burns more oil. Maybe point the finger at the 2000 mile OCI people...at least I go a minimum 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
In Toronto the main city dump/transfer stations have a household hazardous waste depot. i wait until i have a bunch of jugs then take take them along with old batteries, light bulbs, paint etc.

My understanding is that places that sell oil have to take oil have to take it back but i just hate hassling them

Originally Posted By: peterr
In Toronto the main city dump/transfer stations have a household hazardous waste depot. i wait until i have a bunch of jugs then take take them along with old batteries, light bulbs, paint etc.

My understanding is that places that sell oil have to take oil have to take it back but i just hate hassling them

Any of the waste depots in York Region will also take used oil, filters, coolant, batteries etc free of charge for residents.

I just carry the jugs in the wal-mart oil change entrance and set them on the floor. Someone eventually notices them and I assume processes them with no red tape for me.

I just dump it on the Kemp Ridlely Sea Turtles, or in a mountain stream, on a Panda bear, or in a whooping crane nest. Dumping it in the whooping crane nest (which soaks it up) works pretty good....those dang ole' Panda bears get a little testy about it, though!

Happy Aprils fools!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
if you bought your oil from walmart, return it there. Essentially, take it back to wherever you bought the new stuff from.

I bought my last OC online, but when I tried to upload the old stuff back to them, their FTP server wouldn't recognize the file type.
frown.gif

But uh seriously, around here they suggest draining the filters as much as possible and putting them in the trash. I once took in so many cat litter buckets full of used oil that the eager young counter attendant kid at Jiffy Lube pulled the forklift over and loaded it all up on a sheet of plywood laid across the forks. Probably had 13-15 buckets there. I drove away before he did. Hope he didn't drop any of those. Later, I felt guilty that he might get in trouble for that.

Now I take it all to AutoZone when the spill-proof 5 gallon can gets full. Like others have commented, they just wave me to the back where the tank is and I dump it in. They claim to also accept trans, gear, and brake fluid, but I only saw the one big tank. Maybe they mix it all together. Depends on what it's going to get used for. If it's getting burned, it probably gets mixed. If it gets re-refined, they probably have separate tanks for it somewhere.

I take mine to Advance Auto. The guys there just wave me to the tank in the back of the store......right in the middle of all their inventory. If I wasn't an honest man, I could walk out with any reasonably sized parts.

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
Originally Posted By: peterr

Any of the waste depots in York Region will also take used oil, filters, coolant, batteries etc free of charge for residents.
I live in the same town but I take my used oil to work and dump it in the holding tank, as they heat the shop with used oil. I have seen the waste depots here and they are always lined up with people getting rid of household hazardous waste.

Quote:
I take mine to AutoZone.

I'm under the assumption they get paid a smallll amount for the waste oil. Is this wrong?

Wrong, I work for autzone and actually had oil taken from my store today. We just dispose of it, but they don't get paid for it.

Last edited:
I work at a Chev. dealership. I used to do oil changes at home and take it to the dealership dump tanks. Before that, I took it to the J. Deere dealership where it was burned for heat. Now, I just do my oil changes at the dealership (my oil and filters).

All my trash goes to a waste->energy incinerator. Filters go in the trash and the plant does a ferrous recovery from the ash-stream. In reality, jugs of used motor oil could be thrown out too, but since I usually have alot, I bought 2 five-gallon blue plastic kerosene jugs and bring used oil and ATF to Advance Auto for recycling.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
I once took in so many cat litter buckets full of used oil that the eager young counter attendant kid at Jiffy Lube pulled the forklift over and loaded it all up on a sheet of plywood laid across the forks. Probably had 13-15 buckets there. I drove away before he did. Hope he didn't drop any of those. Later, I felt guilty that he might get in trouble for that.
that's a lot of oil....seems the most we can dispose of in one trip is 5 gallons....I don't know if it's a local thing, or a Walmart restriction....but yea, the one time I took my father's oil to walmart, they said only 5 gallons. No idea if it's company policy, or based on jurisdiction (city, state, etc...) though.

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
I just carry the jugs in the wal-mart oil change entrance and set them on the floor. Someone eventually notices them and I assume processes them with no red tape for me.
I tried that once and they caught me on the way back out...apparantly there's a "Used Oil Log" you have to fill in with name, address, City, and Zip Code. No flashing of your ID or anything though...kind curious why they do it....also, it appears Walmart has a limit of 5 gallons per visit or something....no idea why the restriction is in place, but it seems reasonable.

LOL I also do this with the filter. I just wash it out and dry it then return it in the original box.

J/K people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back