best pickup of the 90s overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
$2k is going to get you something that is mostly dead and used up. At that price point brand or model doesn't really matter, buy on condition.

I'd save up more money and buy a better truck.

Trucks are not like cars, most of them get used and used up.

The key points being "most" & "mostly", "buy on condition",and that there is usually a really good buy (or, two) out there...

You just have to look.

Cheers!

p.s. Chevy's have a lot of parts available. Because you'll need a lot of parts!

p.p.s. Yes, I have owned one Chevy in my life: a 1970 Nova with a vinyl top, Ralley Wheels, am/fm, bucket seats (3-speed on the floor) & a 350 2bbl.

One of the greatest cars ever!

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
10th Generation F-150.

My family has had the following:
97 supercab 4.6
00 SVT Lightning
01 supercrew 5.4
02 Harley Davidson supercharged
03 supercrew 5.4

They have all been dead reliable, they've only needed fluids, plugs, and minor wear and tear suspension replacement.

I'll buy any of the above (unwrecked & running, of course) sight unseen, for $2000...

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
[/quote]

I'll buy any of the above (unwrecked & running, of course) sight unseen, for $2000...

Cheers!

Good luck with that!

Had a 1991 S-10 that I had to painfully get rid of due to rust issues. Had over 250,000 miles on it and rarely an issue. Had the original trans fluid in it and still shifted perfectly. Engine was the 4.3 (which was the same as the 350 with 2 of the cylinders cut off) Super easy to work on and parts were cheap. Decent gas mileage of 26 mpg..which is way better than my current 4cyl Ranger. If I could find a decent one around I would take it in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Believe the OP excluded the 97+ F150's from the discussion, so no need to bring up the 4.6 or 5.4. If we did, the 4.6 was bulletproof out of the box as it didn't show up until the '97 model year F150. The teething problems were well out of that motor. I had a '97 F150 that I still wish I had back.

So do I.
100_1642.jpg

Originally Posted By: chevys10
Had a 1991 S-10 that I had to painfully get rid of due to rust issues. Had over 250,000 miles on it and rarely an issue. Had the original trans fluid in it and still shifted perfectly. Engine was the 4.3 (which was the same as the 350 with 2 of the cylinders cut off) Super easy to work on and parts were cheap. Decent gas mileage of 26 mpg..which is way better than my current 4cyl Ranger. If I could find a decent one around I would take it in a heartbeat.
Funny how your trans was fine but on the next gen blazers/s-series the reaction shell would grenade in the trans well before 100K. My dad's did and he drives so gently I can't stand riding with him. When i worked at the GMC/Caddy dealer, we must have rebuilt no less than 30 in the year that I worked there.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: chevys10
Funny how your trans was fine but on the next gen blazers/s-series the reaction shell would grenade in the trans well before 100K. My dad's did and he drives so gently I can't stand riding with him. When i worked at the GMC/Caddy dealer, we must have rebuilt no less than 30 in the year that I worked there.

Yeah..I think the next generation added some electronics to that transmission that must of messed it up a bit.

I am much smarter with my transmission fluid changes these days thanks to this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back