Best one-man brake bleeding product?

I’m going to purchase one of the one-man brake bleeding systems out there. I like the Motive pressurized style setup (specifically the 0107 model; 3 prong style for Ford and Asian products). I know there are also some that are vacuum based instead of pressurizing the reservoir. What other brands should I consider? FYI I do not have a compressor at home so any system that requires one is out for me.

I use a Mity Vac hand vacuum pump at the caliper to pull fluid through. Be sure not to let the brake fluid reservoir run dry. Its good for suctioning brake fluid (or other liquid) out of the reservoir as well. You can also use it to provide pressure by flipping a switch. Handy device.

Another recommendation for Motive, but I also will use the MityVac occasionally. The vacuum method isn't always effective on rear drum brakes w/ a residual pressure valve..not sure what you are bleeding.

My current setup is to use a Mityvac MV6835, but allow each bleeder to gravity-bleed for 1-2 min after the process is done. Then I follow up with a pressure bleed for a few seconds at each caliper/wheel cyl.

I have found that the vacuum/gravity bleed process always leaves a little bit of air, so following up with a pressure bleed resolves the issue. Also, my outlined method prevents you from adding new fluid to the pressure bleeder's container, thereby eliminating any concerns about fluid cleanliness or causing wear to the pressure bleeder's parts.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I fill the car reservoir and don’t add fluid to the motive unit.
Same here..... I know some people fill the vessel but I can't imagine the mess that might make. Plus cleaning it out afterward sounds tedious.

4 cups with brake fluid. Tight fitting hoses on each bleeder (opened) and inserted into each fluid cup. Slowly pump the brake pedal. Done this when I was alone and replaced the complete system on a Chevelle I was restoring. Worked well. The hand held vacuum pump didn’t work in my case.

Mityvac, with a Mason's jar...

Attachments

• 20170107_195132.jpg
    20170107_195132.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170107_195111.jpg
    20170107_195111.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20170107_195318-1.jpg
    20170107_195318-1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 88
IMO, there is an easier solution that is almost free... I used an old peanut jar with a lid and drilled 2 holes in the lid. I cut a piece of clear vinyl tubing about 18" long and put one end on the brake bleeder and the other end through the lid and into about 2" of brake fluid in the jar. For the fluid in the jar, I used the fluid I sucked out of the reservoir. I filled the reservoir with new fluid. I then crack the bleeder and pump the brakes. Keep pumping the pedal until the fluid makes it through the hose. This process will not allow air back into the caliper. This system can be had for less than $4 from a local hardware store...

Just my $0.02

A shop vac, drilled lid and a mason jar work fairly well.

I have a conventional hand operated Mighty Vac, and that thing is about the most frustrating tool ever devised. The jar does not stay on, and one handed use is impossible.

if there is a cap made for the model for my motive i use that. if not , like toyotas, i will vac bleed

Haven't had to bleed the Camry's brakes yet. I used the hose and the jar method on the BMWs or the Rat. The gravity bleed is a good way to test the connections on the brake lines. I don't see the need for a tool that will sit in a drawer :cool:

Back