Best oil for a 3.0 24v Duratec motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

They are both great oils and I would probably go with the MC as it is cheaper and recommended by Ford.

Yeah, I am using in on a 3.0 litre engine thats Vtec and 2006 and MC works great. My mileage is pretty good too. I am tempted to do another OCI but the BOGOF PP at AAP is calling me to get it and the lure of even better gas mileage and full grp III which my engine is begging for now that I am broken in at 26k miles might be too great. I am looking for backers for MC to send me a vote of confidence. My OCI is going to be about 5k anyway so MC is perfect if you are going by how long the oil stays in. I might just give it a round two to see if it increase my FE even more now that I know it is capable of doing what it says on the bottle, Helps improve gas mileage" On a new engine, use MC..DC 75ll is another good oil but I find the MC is just plain slicker and the slickness belies it relatively thick 8.8 cst at 100 DEGREES compared to 8.9 for DC 75k but it is way more better oil in terms of how your engine reponds in RPM and revving which is way better and more seamless and the power comes better. It's like the ECU gets flashed when you put this oil in, atleast that's what happened to me. It was even more apaprent because I started to do some highway miles and did back to back weekend trips, one with the DC and the other with MC and it was .. wait no.. I took the trip to there on DC and did a oil change when I got there and on my way back I was on MC and it was as if my car was transformed into a higher rpm monster but not at the cost of gas mileage.

I know what you mean about the BOGOF PP at AAP, since I can't refuse a good bargin.

Went to AAP... .couldn't resist the the bargain and bought 32 quarts of PP.

Quote:

Should I use PP 5w-20 or Motorcaft 5w-20. I will put on 15k this year.

Of the two oils mentioned, I would be most inclined to use PP.
shocked.gif

That said, I completed a 6.5K OCI using Mobil 1 5W-20 on my 2001 duratec last year. This engine loved it, but it likes current fill better.

BTW, what year is your 'tec?

Quote:

Of the two oils mentioned, I would be most inclined to use PP.

That said, I completed a 6.5K OCI using Mobil 1 5W-20 on my 2001 duratec last year. This engine loved it, but it likes current fill better.

BTW, what year is your 'tec?

I bought a used 06 Freestyle with 8k and have been using MC 5-20, this will be my 3rd Duratec motor. My Mazda 00 MPV(2.5 Duratec V6) had 178k when I sold it, I used Mobil 1 5w-30 in it. I did try the MC 5-20 at 70k and it consume a quart of every 2000 miles, so I stuck with the Mobil 5w-30 with 10k OCI with 1/2 quart comsumpsation. Always used a MC 820S oil filters.

If you wanted to try both, you could..all you have to do is use the synthetic blend first and if you are not happy with it there is always the upgrade to the full synthetic PP. The other way around is not supposed to work well and that is my biggest roadblock in trying full synthetic early on in an engine's life no matter what the gallery says, I think newer engines can benefit from lower group oil hybrid then simply full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back