Best oil for a '08 V-Star 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

Im looking in to switching over to synth on my Yamaha. I already picked up the 75w90 M1 for the final drive.

The engine is a air cooled, chain driven OHC v2. It does not have roller rockers from what i understand... Its a wet clutch.

I don't ride below 50deg F normally and the temp here in connecticut can get in to the 90's in the summer no problem.

My 2 requirements:
A) Has to be available in most chain stores. I don't want to be away from home and have to mix brands to "top off".
B) Has to be full synthetic.

I was thinking about going to 20w50 M1 but when i went to the parts store and china mart it seems that this is no longer sold. They now have M1 15w50 with a silver top.

Ive been reading that people are using Rotella T synth in their bikes but this only comes in 5w40. I worry this may be to thin on a air cooled bike.

Ive also heard i can't go wrong with the M1 vtwin 20w50 but that stuff isnt sold every ware and its $10 a quart. I'll go with that if its the best, but I kinda get the feeling im just paying a Harley tax and not really getting a better product.

Any input is welcome
Thanks
-c

I had a v- star. Bought it used ,it probably had the original yama-lube in it. I switched it to amsoil bike oil and WOW what a difference it made in the way it shifted. Nice and smooth with that stuff! Dont use auto oil in it.Auto oil has friction modifiers in it that you dont want on a wet clutch.

Last edited:
Best bang for the buck in the MC world is Rotella 5W40. It'll serve you well. One of my riding buddies uses it his '06 V*1100 -works just fine.

Rotella syn 5w-40. I have run it in my air cooled v-twin in AZ when ambient temp is 120F and temp just above the blacktop is likely 130F to 140F. Whatever you use I would change it often with a wet clutch. It's a whole lot easier on the pocketbook to use Rotella Syn vs M1 V-Twin or other comparable products, especially if you change every 3000 miles or so.

This is a function of what will help you sleep at night.

Rotella synthetic 5W-40 will work. So too will Rotella conventional 15W-40. Or Delvac or Delo for that matter. All terrific oils, and they'll run well in the bike.

But if you're concerned about those and think you might not sleep well worrying ... then go with Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil.

In the grand scheme of things, the cost of Amsoil for the bike a few times of year pales next to the money spent on lots of other things in life.

Depends on your annual mileage. If you ride 5000+ miles a year I would do the Rotella syn and change every 3-4000. If you ride less than 5000 per year do the Amsoil and change once a year.

5w40 Rotella vs M1 15w50 vs Valvoline 20w50 full synth?

I would'nt mind the Rotella but it only comes in that one thinner weight.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Well i ended up picking up some m1 15w50 silver cap from china-mart. My thinking is that they have walmarts all over the USA so if I ever need some when im out on the road this will be a easy thing to find.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Well i ended up picking up some m1 15w50 silver cap from china-mart. My thinking is that they have walmarts all over the USA so if I ever need some when im out on the road this will be a easy thing to find.

Thanks.

That'll work just fine.

That would be my luck.. I go and pick a oil and they decide to discontinue it... Maybe i should go back tomorrow and buy the last 2 jugs they had on the shelf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back