Best MPG yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just filled up the tank with precisely 13 gallons, same as the last fill, from which I got 465 miles: close to 36 mpg. All stop-and-go in-town driving, very little on the by-pass around town.

'93 Corolla 7A-FE 1.8l
Ambient temp. has been upper 80s to lower- mid-90s.
BP Ultimate in the tank.
Redline 5W-30 in the crank case.
Amsoil FGR in the manual trans.

I can't say what precisely was the cause of it, or what combination of things, but at this point I don't have much desire to experiment with other options.

beer2.gif

Judicious use of the skinny pedal, and foresight with regard to traffic lights give me by far the best results! Mid-30's all in town is excellent...give yourself credit in your list of items...maybe your driving style should be listed number 2...because you do need a relatively efficient car to begin with in order to be able to reach that MPG.

Titan:

An excellent point, especially the last. One's actual MPG really is a multi-factor thing. My way of looking at it: the car is the starting point, but then it's up to the drive to make the most of the equipment available. Last week, I found myself badly overscheduled and rushing around trying not to be late. As a result, my mileage dropped to 48 mpg (remember, I'm driving a Prius...). My "normal" hot weather, light load, urban result has been just above 50. If I were to start applying hard core pulse and glide, and some other techniques, I could easily push to the mid-50s. Personally, however, I've decided not to push the techniques past the point where I start to become an irritation and distraction to other drivers. Arriving at my destination undamaged (and unmurdered) is of course the ultimate goal...
cheers.gif

Quote:

Just filled up the tank with precisely 13 gallons, same as the last fill, from which I got 465 miles: close to 36 mpg. All stop-and-go in-town driving, very little on the by-pass around town.

'93 Corolla 7A-FE 1.8l
Ambient temp. has been upper 80s to lower- mid-90s.
BP Ultimate in the tank.
Redline 5W-30 in the crank case.
Amsoil FGR in the manual trans.

I can't say what precisely was the cause of it, or what combination of things, but at this point I don't have much desire to experiment with other options.

beer2.gif

Have your mpgs been tracking with temps to any extent? Generally, hot weather produces better results (unless you overwhelm your drivetrain with super-heavy A/C use.

ekpolk, I should have thought to mention that my AC hasn't worked in quite some time, so that's definitely a contributing factor. (Unfortunately, it also contributes some major discomfort.) I also plan ahead for traffic lights, as well as possible, so as to avoid as many dead stops as I can. Winter/summer temps definitely affect mpg for me. In mid-winter I typically get in the 26-28 mpg range in town, but significantly better on the freeway. Still not too shabby I suppose, all things considered.

You can hurt mileage with the gas pedal, but you can kill mileage with the brake pedal. It's the more expensive one of the two. Try it. For two or three tanks make an effort to go very easy on the brake pedal and to drive in a way to avoid using it by looking ahead. Don't get in an accident or get run over but just try it. It's cheaper that synthetic oil and gasoline additives, does not require a uoa and their are no shipping charges or sales tax. The disadvantage is that you have to think and that's not done by most drivers. Thinking may be too much to ask and in that case you can just buy a bottle of . Give it a try and if it does not work you'll get a complete refund with no questions asked.

That's so true Lonnie. On my morning commute, I am "speed limit or below" kind of guy because I have the traffic light timing down pat. I could be the first guy in the pack driving down Michigan Avenue, but within a minute or two I'm the last. Everyone whizzes by me to be first to the next red light. By the time I get there (never touching the brakes), the light has turned green and the speed jockeys have vacated onto the next red light up the road.

Does anyone have any websites that talk about the rolling resistance of tires?

Not that I would buy based on this, just wondering who made the best ones.

I have a 03 saturn ion with the factory firestones, which are howling at 34k miles, and almost worn out.

Justin,

Michelin makes tires that are engineered for better fuel economy and less rolling resistance.

They are called "ENERGY" Series, and come in various sizes. I don't know if other Tire Co's have anything specifically engineered, like Michelin does.
driving.gif

Goodyear's Assurance line has been used as reference by Michelin when it comes to LRR tires. They're pricey when compared to the contis but cheaper than the Michelins.

FWIW I have a set of Goodyear's Comfort Treds on my 05 Vibe and can say without reservation they do a good job.

Ekpolk,

Does your Prius use low rolling resistance tires to help improve gas mileage ??

Is there a tire on the market that has *proven* to improve gas MPG ?? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back