Best Lubricant for ball joint service tool ( C frame type)

Just got my Astro Pneumatic Model 7865 Ball Joint Service Tool delivered today. In researching which model to purchase there were alot of recommendations on lubricating the threads so they don't get jacked up, especially if using an impact wrench with it. Some say copper anti seize, some say any grease laying around... What do you guys think? This kit is pretty stout, but I don't want to mess it up either, thanks for your responses.

Attachments

• Model 7865.jpeg
    Model 7865.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 16
Both are good ideas.

If you get that screaming tight and think you're about to break it, you are. It's a good time to whack the control arm near the ball joint with a pretty decent hammer to start shaking it loose. You'll find you can tighten the clamp a teeny bit after each good whack.

Just got my Astro Pneumatic Model 7865 Ball Joint Service Tool delivered today. In researching which model to purchase there were alot of recommendations on lubricating the threads so they don't get jacked up, especially if using an impact wrench with it. Some say copper anti seize, some say any grease laying around... What do you guys think? This kit is pretty stout, but I don't want to mess it up either, thanks for your responses.
This is the stuff Klann uses on their threaded tools. Good stuff!

I never gave it much thought. I have just used whatever oily, greasy product that was handy. Usually air tool oil as it's on the same shelf as my impacts.

Last edited:
I use moly grease with all my threaded presses and pullers. Seems to work well. And I do use an impact(even with ones that say not to) 🤣

Our Snapon ball joint press has a zerk fitting in the frame to grease the threads so we usually use the high temp chassis grease that is in the grease gun on it.

Reactions: D60
I would use a grease unless you want anti-seize everywhere. I usually end up touching the threads at least once per use and with anti-seize on it, everything would be coated.

All recommendations considered, thanks guys. That moly is grease expensive! But I'm sure a little goes a long way. Just inspected our 2006 Honda CRV - needs both lower ball joints replaced.

Back