best gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be replacing my rear end fluid in the next couple of days but am not able to find what I currently have (Amsoil 75-140). What is the best readily available fluid from the common manufacturers like quaker state, penzoil etc...

M1 75W140, it is available at most auto parts chains/stores, the price of 75W140 is usually about $15-16/qt, while 75W90 is about $9-10/qt.

Originally Posted By: cscam
I may be replacing my rear end fluid in the next couple of days but am not able to find what I currently have (Amsoil 75-140). What is the best readily available fluid from the common manufacturers like quaker state, penzoil etc...

Probably Mobil 1 and/or Valvoline SynPower in that viscosity.

You can always find Amsoil, Red Line, etc. on the internet though.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Probably Mobil 1 and/or Valvoline SynPower in that viscosity.

You can always find Amsoil, Red Line, etc. on the internet though.

yeah, I don't really have time to wait for a mail order, I need to get something locally.

Dodge has this stupid rear end maintence schedule of every 15,000 miles on my Dodge Ram 2500 to keep the lifetime warranty, So I have been trying out a magitude of different gear oils. I tried Mobil 1 75w90, Royal Purple 75w90, Amsoil 75w90 and Castrol Syntec 75w90. I think I liked the Mobil best. It made the least amount of rear end noise. It also looked the worst coming out, Royal purple didnt even look used. I am going to try Lucas Synthetic next change.

You can get amsoil local from their "dealer network"...that's the only way I would buy anything from them.

Should be a simple call to amsoil to locate your nearest dealer...mine was just down the street.

yeah I'm with ya on that one, don't think the 75-140 is necessary, found some 75-90 amsoil and will use that.

yeah I'm with ya on that one, don't think the 75-140 is necessary, found some 75-90 amsoil and will use that.

Good call. I used Amsoil 75w90 GL-4 in my Maxima 6 speed and the stuff is pure butter. Way superior to the Redline MT-90 I was using prior.

Most performance shops will carry Red Line. I would stick with 75-140. You will NOT gain anything between the 2 different weights. The diff was built to have 75-140 in it and it should continue to be the fill on that diff.

readily Available.....M1 or RP can be found about anywhere now

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
The diff was built to have 75-140 in it and it should continue to be the fill on that diff.

I don't recall him saying what the diff was. How do you know it was built for 75W140?

Charlie

I would assume the last person or shop that serviced it was SMART enough to stick with the manufacture recommended weights. In this case I would find out what is spec'ed and stick with that

It would be most helpful if you could post the particulars on what type of vehicle you want to replace the rear end fluid?

Then we'll have a much better idea of the type of fluid required.

The diff in question is an 05 jeep liberty with the 8.25 rear end. The owners manual lists 75-140 as required for vehicles with the tow package. My vehicle has the tow package, but I don't tow anything really heavy and only short distances anyway. I believe the 75-90 will be fine. 75-140 seems like overkill, and with our cold temps in the winter and moderate summer temps the 75-90 just seems to make more sense anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back