Best Gas Additive for SUPER COLD Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should have spent your summer cleaning out the carbon with a PEA based additive like Gumout Regane. Carbon makes engines harder to start, especially in the cold. A clean engine will start and run in the cold the way it was designed to.

PEA won't work very fast in the winter and there's no additive that will make up for what you didn't do. Work the PEA additive into your regimen and maybe next winter will be better.

Of the four listed I would probably go with Techron if I had to pick one. A little cleaning is probably good for things. Techron seems to be a good product. No gimicks, just cleans fuel systems.

If you are worried about water in the gas tank, the E10 handles water better than E0. But left for some time the water it absorbs will settle to the bottom of the tank. Water removing products (alcohol) is just not needed.
OTOH, I would maybe use MMO if you need something in there. I could be wrong, but could the MMO thicken the gas just a bit at -30 temps? A quart I have has been in +30F and has been noticably thicker than at room temp.

None of those additives have anything at all to do with starting a car in sub zero temps if you have the right oil in the crankcase.

I drive a '73 Cadillac daily as I have done for years. I don't put anything in the gas or oil for cold temps and it has been well below zero recently where I live for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I DO use MMO in the gas sporadically for cleaning just as I have used Rislone for years in the oil but never because of temperature.

All I have is Rotella T 5-40 and pure gasoline to get me started. No ethanol to ruin the gas either now that I found a station that doesn't add that garbage. If you just have to put something in the gas try HEET. It is sold everywhere.

Last edited:
Quote:
None of those additives have anything at all to do with starting a car in sub zero temps if you have the right oil in the crankcase.

I am not sure if you mean (a) being able to start a car or (b) doing harm while starting it in sub zero temperatures. However, advice for just sub zero is not good enough for the original posters location in MN. In my experience, the worrisome noises worsen greatly at minus 20 or colder and when the car has stood outside overnight. At 10 below or above, the engines are stiff, but seem to handle it a little better. If your car is garaged overnight or has only stood for a few hours outdoors, it still has residual heat in the engine. On days when the temperatures didn't rise above minus 20, those who went out at lunch and started their cars would also have them start after work. Many of those who didn't were not so lucky.

Some seem to think you only need to use a plug in engine heater to get a car started. However, if you want to save your engine from wear in bitter cold, plug it in for a while before you start it, if possible. If not, maybe MMO can help lubricate the top of the engine. I doubt any engine oil will do as good of a job in that area on its own.

On another note, I have a friend who has worked as a mechanic that claims some older cars with engines that are worn and have greater clearances will start better in those temperatures better because the cold thick oil will flow better than it would through newer engines with tight clearances. That may be, but the older vehicles usually have other weakened parts, like starters, batteries, fuel systems, and ignitions that cause starting problems in that weather.

Originally Posted By: severach
You should have spent your summer cleaning out the carbon with a PEA based additive like Gumout Regane. Carbon makes engines harder to start, especially in the cold. A clean engine will start and run in the cold the way it was designed to.

PEA won't work very fast in the winter and there's no additive that will make up for what you didn't do. Work the PEA additive into your regimen and maybe next winter will be better.

"Didn't do" ??????
crackmeup2.gif
Where on earth did you come up with that? I want an answer! HA! Dude, I did use PEA's multiple times in all 3 vehicles, up to 2-3x concentration doses in the Saturn.

tpitcher- give MMO a shot, in fact try 5 ounces to 10 gallons of gas instead of the suggested 4 ounces. The residual oil left behind by the MMO will help cut down on startup wear IMO especially in extreme cold. Only you can tell if it makes a difference in your car. I have a feeling you'll notice a difference too.
smile.gif

Your question was about adding something to the gas, a 0w-xx oil and a pan heater is a different topic, but also a great idea for extreme cold.

It was down around -10 to -15 here for a couple of weeks recently. With the wind chill it was colder than that.

I would say that if you're in an area where the temp is down at -20 or below for any period of time it's time to plug the car in or go to one of the newer very thin oils. I wish I had a place to plug mine in even at 0 degrees.

Mine sits outside and it sits for a very long time before it is started again. Sometimes 24 hours.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
OK I'll bite. MMO for its UCL properties, for that first cold start in the morning when the thick cold is taking a little more time than normal finding its way to the cylinders. Even a 0W-xx oil is taking a bit longer to reach vital parts when its that cold. I think a good UCL is helpful in those extreme cold conditions, especially to rings and the cylinder walls. JMO

+1 DermaPaint is right on! IMO...UCL is very important in the bitter cold start ups.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

It's 38 Degrees Below Zero RIGHT NOW!!
banana2.gif

Good luck to you and stay warm and dry. Looks like that brutal cold is heading to the Northeast this weekend. I doubt we will have it as severe as you do but they are predicting very cold temps here in Coney Island. Cheers to you! You must be very tough people to handle that cold.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
33.gif
Sorry I ever brought this up.
15.gif

50.gif

I know VERY well, what gas we have, what E10 is all about and that the engines will run just fine & make it through the cold a-ok with no additive at all!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to be crabby about it
wink.gif

I think that none and the discussions about fuel being fine without are ESPECIALLY relevant when -20 or whatever temperature you are going to see.

I run a rotation, MMO, TCW3, PI, FP60, SI-1, ETC. No big deal, just have some of each and I pick one of the shelf. Some are easier to take on a longer trip because of low treat rate, etc. Well, I had a bottle of TCW-3 in my trunk, and went to get gas the other day. The car had been out and it was well below freezing. This was synthetic TCW-3, mind you, it poured extremely slowly, wouldn't flow down the filler tube properly, and in the end made a big mess on the fuel filler end and on the side of my car.

Combine the fact that chances are that adds are likely not as volatile as fuel, it means more time fiddling on your car when fueling up, and that engines will run fine without them, and I lean towards the concept that when it is ridiculously cold, unless Im going on a long trip where the car will be hot more than not, Ill stay away from using adds when it is really cold, and just keep a full tank. Keeps things convenient, less time in the cold fiddling with adds, and I know that I keep a good enough regimen that it isnt really a big deal.

My 2c.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It is -21 here right now and I could care less if the car starts or not. Just starting my second pot of coffee.

Staying inside today.

+1
lol.gif

If it helps, I put MMO in both my cars yesterday when I filled up. It's -20 celcius here and it poured like it always does.

-38 F is approximately -37 celcius... that's crazy cold. Stay inside.

Originally Posted By: webfors
It is -21 here right now and I could care less if the car starts or not. Just starting my second pot of coffee.

Staying inside today.

+1
lol.gif

If it helps, I put MMO in both my cars yesterday when I filled up. It's -20 celcius here and it poured like it always does.

-38 F is approximately -37 celcius... that's crazy cold. Stay inside.

MMO doesn't thicken up like TCW3, or Lucas fuel additive does.

That's why I pre-mix the bottles of TC-W3 with Chevron Techron/Gumout Regane Fuel system cleaners. I use 8 empty 6 Ounce, gumout/regane FSC bottles and fill them with 3 ounces of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of FSC. They pour nice into the gas tank with no syrup hesitation.

Staying inside today.

I hate retired people....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back