Best fluid for 84 Dodge Ram w/ A-833 transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what the best fluid was for my 84 dodge ram pickup w/ I-6 & A-833 transmission. It now has amsoil series 2000 75w-90 gearlube in it. It shifts allright going up and from OD down to 3d but is hard to get from 3d-2d without making a noise. Would the ATF or MTF be a better fluid than what's in it now? Would like to get it downshifting better.
Thanks,
Steve

Book says Dexron 2 or 3 but goes on to state that 'a worn or noisy transmission may function better with sae 75w-90 GL-5 gear lube' I have a case of amsoil ATF in the barn but would have to order the MTF.

Thinner fluids usually shift easier.

Since the vehicle is old, I would prefer something thicker to protect it and keep it together.

Since the 80w90 didn't work out, the 75w90's, like Ams MTG or RL MT90, are a good choice.
If you want easier shifting and still protect it well, consider the Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL. These are halfway between ATF and gear oil in viscosity and should work well.

Another option that is thinner then gear oil but thicker then ATF is the Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Quote:

Thinner fluids usually shift easier.

Since the vehicle is old, I would prefer something thicker to protect it and keep it together.

Since the 80w90 didn't work out, the 75w90's, like Ams MTG or RL MT90, are a good choice.
If you want easier shifting and still protect it well, consider the Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL. These are halfway between ATF and gear oil in viscosity and should work well.

Another option that is thinner then gear oil but thicker then ATF is the Pennzoil Synchromesh.

I agree w/Synchromesh oil. Autozone has it. Last time I bought some (around 2 years ago) it was 5 bucks per quart.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back